1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pricing vintage clothing

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Danielle, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Danielle

Danielle Registered Guest

My store sells primarily vintage clothing. I try to sell my items at market price or right below market price. My question for you is how long do you keep an item at a certain price before you lower or it?

Also, do you prefer selling a lot of items at lower prices to turn a quick but small profit or do you like to sit on the items until you get full value which could take months or possibly years depending on when the right buyer comes along?

Thanks,

xo

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

3. Danielle

Thanks for responding to my question but I don't think you read the questions accurately because they are indeed different questions. The first forum topic that I posted asked fellow sellers how they create prices. The forum topic that I posted today asked fellow sellers how long keep an item at a certain price before they discount it.

I appreciate VFG members and visitors contributing to ongoing forums and conversations. I find it very interesting to hear different insights from people who have the same passions as I do. Selling online is at times very isolating so it is nice to be part of a community. These forums help everyone so much and I would love to continue having these great conversations.

So back to my question, if my fellow sellers are so obliged, how long do you have an item listed before you discount it?

Thanks,
    Danielle

4. Danielle, I think the answer to this question depends on what sort of store you have: eg, bricks and mortar, vintage fair or market, or online marketplace or webshop. Different sorts suit different approaches.

As for me, I have a B&M and aim to get my pricing right so that discounting is unnecessary. I like to rotate my stock because I have a lot, and I like to buy a lot so if it hasn't sold in a certain time span (varies depending on what it is: eg, shorter for frocks, longer for menswear) I take it out. Many of the garments I take out might then go into my webshop, or they might get put away for next season. I don't actually discount, just rotate as the price doesn't go down as long as I get the price right in the beginning.

5. Danielle

Thanks Nicole!

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I think if you can afford to wait on the best price for a really good piece that you should hold out. ie. if it has a great label or a beautiful 1920s beaded dress that more often than not, does not have a label.
    Other items, you can always discount a little or a lot once they have been around awhile. It's really a different sort of situation for everyone which makes it a bit more of a difficult question to answer.

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Yes, it's a very individual thing, that. I generally price my items fairly modestly to begin with, so am not inclined to do permanent markdowns on a regular basis. Sometimes I take intermediate markdowns, though, usually when I suspect my original price was too high, but not often. I do periodic sales in both my online shops and in my antique mall booth. Sometimes I move an item from online to the booth and mark it down when I am either sick of looking at it, or I need to free up room in my stockroom. It generally will sell there at that point. Sometimes I have an item that doesn't sell at the price I have it marked but I think it is a special piece, I'll deactivate it and put it away for awhile, or keep it for my own collection (but I have to be very careful there, as I enjoy most of the things I have and wouldn't mind keeping them!).

In general, and I think a lot of people do it this way in part, if I'm sick of looking at an item and my cost basis is low enough, at some point I mark it down drastically just to be done with it! OTH, I've had things that have sat around for awhile and I think I've priced them too low. I'll up the price, and they'll sell. Go figure.