1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Princess Anne wears vintage

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by MagsRags, Apr 27, 2020.

1. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Royal investment dressing! She "shops" her closet and keeps wearing things, sometimes for decades, after they have become vintage.

This article from Town & Country was a fun read for me.

2. Go her!

I read recently that Prince Charles has been spotted frequently this winter wearing his father's 1940s coat. You can see it here.

[​IMG]

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd heard about Anne rewearing her things, but hadn't realised she goes that far back in her wardrobe! I admit, I don't always like her style, but kudos for her for doing it and for being able to do so - even if you keep your weight, your body does change with age... Though there are bright colors and some flashier items, you can see that a lot of it are more classic styles that do not look dated the next year.

My mom's best friend does the same. Her husbands were all well off and she was able to buy expensive clothes (not couture, but RTW designer brands before fashion became cheap, real Vuitton bags before everybody had them etc.). She has very good taste and goes for classic, chic looks - she has 20 year old suits in her closet that she still wears and people go "this is great, where did you buy this" when they see her. And then they are suprised when she tells them...

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I know what you mean Karin, but I found myself actually liking a couple of these repeat outfits, and yes, kudos to her for her recycling!

MagsRags likes this.
  5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I swear I once had a copy of Prince Charles' coat. I love British tweeds. Wish I had seen the photo then.
    Marian

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Kudos to anyone who can still wear their clothing from 40 years ago! Also more, proof that good quality can last.

MagsRags likes this.
  7. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Many years ago when I was visiting Hartnell, one of the seamstresses was repairing a chiffon evening gown for the Queen Mother. She was appliqueing small pieces over some holes on the back hip. Apparently she frequently put her hand with diamond bracelets behind her and snagged the chiffon.
    The English have always been better about buying good classic designs, instead of the latest avant garde. In a conversation with Hardy Amies, he told me about going to a wedding where many of the ladies were wearing older HA designs. He was quite proud of that.
    According to Sir Hardy, the English spend more on their horses than their clothes.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    MagsRags and denisebrain like this.
  8. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

What great anecdotes, Claire!