1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PRO-TIPS FOR BEGINNERS

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by 196t's, Oct 25, 2018.

1. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Good morning/afternoon/night,

I don't think there is a "tips for beginners" thread already (forgive me if there is).
    Well, as someone who just started on the vintage clothing business, I'd appreciate some advice from people that have been on it for longer. For an example, I'm highly doubtful about patterns and prints. I'm afraid I can pass on a shirt with this kind of print because I think "it's too modern" or because "it doesn't tell me nothing about the 60s" (scene from "You Only Live Twice" - 1967):
    You Only Live Twice (1967).jpg
    Also, some key details to choose dresses, blouses, skirts and others would be useful, such as padded shoulders for the 80s and denim for the 70s. Yesterday I created a thread about a 1980s tailored shift dress that I thought was from the 60s in the Vintage Fashion Q & A. I had already put the ads up saying it was 60s, and I want to avoid these kinds of mistakes.

The knowledge shared here will not only be useful for me, but also for the other aspiring begginers. Thanks.

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Hello -- Be sure to check out the VFG Fashion History section on the homepage, which provides several sections, all filled with excellent tips.

My favorites are Fashion Timeline and Garment & Item Specifics as great starting points.

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

4. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Thanks to all for responding. I added all of them to my reading list!
    Observation: The websites are great, but I'd like something more personal, from experiences vintage clothing experts have had.

5. The short answer is there's a lot to know. I've been collecting for almost forty years and part of the reason it still interests me so much is because of the wide variety and depth of knowledge to gain.

Some more reading:
    My blog, Circa Vintage Clothing.
    Some targeted posts, Vintage 101.
    My book 'Love Vintage'.
    My other book 'Style is Eternal'.

There are lots of great books available. Here are more that were written by VFG members.

If you have specific questions, please ask them on the forums.

6. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Thanks a lot! I bet this will be useful for a lot of people.

I usually do when I have them, but this was just my curiosity.

7. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Everything everyone mentioned.

We use the resources everyday. They make finding information about what we have quick and easy.

Then aside from having our questions answered in the forums we learn how those who respond find their answers.

Some of our members who have stores also show their Fresh Vintage weekly and when you click on their listings you can learn how they present their items, how they describe their items, measure, and provide condition statements.
    https://forums.vintagefashionguild....vfg-members-thursday-oct-25-wed-oct-31.67290/

196t's likes this.