1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I have a few questions about this purse:

1. Is this considered a box purse or is there another name for this hard structured bag which closes with two hard flaps that snap one over the other?
    2. What is the outside material? Inside seems to be satin lining but the outside is a duller fabric. Rayon faille?
    3. What is the material of the handle? Lucite? It has that mother of pearl look from above but it looks plastic like from the side.
    4. Lastly, does 50s sound right?

Thank you,
    Victoria
    IMG_1985.JPG IMG_1986.JPG IMG_1988.JPG IMG_1989.JPG IMG_1990.JPG IMG_1991.JPG IMG_1993.JPG IMG_3023.JPG IMG_3024.JPG

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

Does the handle feel heavy? I agree with 1950s and that it's rayon faille as it was a commonly used fabric in terms of evening purses in the 50s.

3. Vintagiality

I don't think the handle is very heavy but I guess I am not sure since I have no reference point. It feels slightly heavier than modern day plastic, I think but I may be imaging that.

Thanks
    Victoria

4. Yes to lucite and yes to probably '50s. I can't see the fabric well enough to detect faille: do you have a nice, clear close up?

I'd just call it a bucket bag.

5. Vintagiality

Thanks Nicole. I'll take a clearler photo of the fabric tonight. I wasn't entirely convinced it's faille either. It's not "ribbed" enough I guess.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like a lightweight wool, perhaps with some jersey in it.
    Really cute style, never seen one quite like it.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  7. Vintagiality

Here are some fabric close ups. I did think jersey could be it too but not wool. For some reason it's really hard to photograph.

IMG_3026.JPG IMG_3027.JPG IMG_3028.JPG