puzzled by this gown + help naming the fabric

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion Q & A' started by applethief, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:22 AM.

1. applethief

applethief Registered Guest

Hi again and thank you for your help with my previous inquiry.

I've just found this lovely gown and am unsure about its age.

Here are some details:
    - custom made, no tags
    - this is a full length gown with draping/ruching on the bodice and a full circle skirt made out of a couple of panels
    - fabric is super lightweight silk (chiffon?) with small patches woven in that have more lustre than the rest of the fabric and there are tiny fringes at the ends of the patches (please see photos, it's hard to explain) --by the way, how would you call this one?
    - lining is acetate
    - zipper has been replaced (different thread was used to sew it in than used on the rest of the whole garment, also you can see the lining had been unpicked to remove the old zipper and then sewn in again with the new thread)
    - zig-zagged edges on the inside
    - grosgrain tape waist-stay
    - braided straps with same fabric backing

Overall, this looks 1970s to me mostly based on the fabric but I researched 70s gowns and I'm not so sure this style was fashionable? I'm not very good at dating formal dresses like this one so I wanted to ask your expert opinion.

Please let me know if I can take better pics or describle something else.

20181205_140828.jpg 20181205_140834.jpg 20181205_140846.jpg 20181205_140851.jpg 20181205_140859.jpg 20181205_140922.jpg 20181205_140934.jpg 20181205_141000.jpg 20181205_141006.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 8:29 AM
    Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan Trade Member

It looks older to me - late 50s - maybe even just into the 60s. Home made, but by someone who knew what they were doing - perhaps a professional dressmaker.

3. Circa Vintage

Circa Vintage Alumni +

I concur with Jonathan that this style looks '50s, as does the construction which is beautiful detailed with lots of hand-finishing. The fabric, however looks like the sort of silk chiffon jaquards that were popular in the late '80s. I haven't seen any in the '50s, or any time previous to the '70s. It's an expensive, luxury fabric and a lot of it was used to create this dress.

I wonder if it's a '50s style made by a meticulous seamstress in the '80s. There was a revival of '50s styles at the time and an older seamstress or skilled grandmother would use these techniques.

gossamer likes this.
  4. applethief

Thank you! I operate from central Europe and get a lot of handmade items because in soviet times RTW wasn't readily available here most of the time and women used to sew for themselves or order their clothes at a dressmaker (my mum, in her youth in the 60s-early 70s, used to have all her clothes custom made by a tailor/dressmaker because it was simply more affordable and available than RTW clothes! Interesting, no?). This dress was definitely made by a professional, like you said. The level of detailed work included here is beyond anything an amateur home sewer could make.

Btw, what would be a correct term for describing a piece like this one, which was made by a professional dressmaker (with no-name business who left no labels on the item) but not a custom item made by a company/brand (with tags and all)? Would we still call it custom made? I don't think it's fair to call it 'home made', as I feel the term implies amateur work --and this is high quality, professional work here.

5. applethief

This does make sense, thanks for your input. I agree with everything you say. The techniques are definitely older but the fabric puzzled me and that's why I asked. I would love for this to be a true 50s piece but it's beautiful anyway and like you say, the fabric is luxury. I shouldn't complain ;).

However, if anyone could find a reason to think the contrary about the fabric, do let me know! :D

6. denisebrain

denisebrain Trade Member

Nicole stated that it is a jacquard weave, but might it be lappet weave? https://vintagefashionguild.org/fabric-resource/eyelash-effect/

gossamer and Circa Vintage like this.
  7. Linn

Linn Trade Member

It does look like a lappet weave and the fabric colors and pattern along with the design make me think that it is late '50's - early '60's. I could be wrong but that is my impression.

Linn

8. Circa Vintage

Circa Vintage Alumni +

denisebrain likes this.
  9. applethief

Wow, thank you ladies! That's so awesome of you to share all this knowledge.