1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puzzled! help date this dress and label please.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Into the void, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

Hey I picked this dress up today because i loved it so so much! it is very French new wave, definitely has a Parisian feel. The color is not as white as the pictures portray and more of a creamy beige. it is unlined and the trim is velvety maybe velveteen. the fabric is a thin crepe rayon i think, the buttons are stiff cloth that are kind of hard to undo. the sleeves billow and the cuffs snap open and closed with a metal snap closure on the inside of the sleeve. the neck line is boxed off, and there are two somewhat scandalously high slits on both sides of the dress. The label is printed on the inside of the buttoned seam down the middle of the bust. No shoulder pads and the dress was somewhat large on the mannequin so i clipped the back so thats not the natural shape. Label Says: Ratti Fashions and under it the fine print says "Our designs are legendary" and then "Sellini- France"

I really don't know when this dress was from, i usually have an idea but to me i have like 4 different decades running through my mind.

Please help! any info about the designer or label would also be MUCH appreciated! Thanks everyone:)

Attached Files:

2. Hello, interesting dress. Do you have a pic of the label please?

Into the void likes this.
  3. Into the void

Hah yes it's actually up there but it's in such an unusual spot you probably missed it here I zoomed in

Attached Files:

4. Into the void

That's the only hint I found as far as labels go. Doesn't look like anything was ripped off or anything but I need to inspect it further

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Nicole, the Ratti information is in the eighth photo, as you count left to right, from the top down. (Oops, I see I cross-posted with the OP)

I think the Ratti Fashions refers to the maker of the fabric and here is a little information about Ratti's textiles (from 1982).

IMG_7410.jpg

6. Into the void

Thank you so much! That's amazing wish I knew who designed the garment itself or the year but I was puzzled about the name I kept getting a sunglasses designer lol

7. Thank you! Yes, I was looking on my phone and couldn't see the detail. I agree with Lynne: it looks like it's printed on the selvedge and so refers to the fabric and not the dress, which is good because it looks home made. Home made dresses are the hardest to date because they don't necessarily follow fashion trends and the construction techniques vary depending on the age and skillset of the sewer.

The construction suggests '70s to me and there is nothing to say a modern date in my view so that's the date I will offer. It's a hard one. If I were you, I'd try a burn test on the fabric to determine if it's rayon or polyester crepe. There was a lot of poly crepe in the '70s. Rayon crepes tend to be '50s and earlier but the fabric looks '70s to me so I'd expect a synthetic.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

With those high slits, I'm wondering if it's the top of a two piece Indian garment, such as a salwaar kameez. It would have had matching trousers. The shape looks plausible for it.

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Ruth as that was my thought on it.

StitchesandSnags and Retro Ruth like this.
  10. Into the void

Interesting, but wouldn't black and cream polkadot be kind of a-typical of a traditional Indian two peice suit? Unless the dress is maybe late 60s when eastern countries Like India etc started influencing fashion ?

11. Retro Ruth

There are lots of fashionable Indian outfits, not just pure traditional, and have been for years. Salwaar kameez are influenced by fashion trends.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  12. Retro Ruth

So it's more the other way around, that western fashion influenced salwaar kameez, than the other way around. I'm no expert, mind.

13. Retro Ruth

Whenever I see those double high slits, I always think: salwaar kameez

14. I agree with Ruth - the dress was designed to be worn with trousers beneath. They're not the right splits for a revealing dress. So salwaar kameez is a good suggestion.

StitchesandSnags and Retro Ruth like this.