1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question: furs, consignment and labels

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by FurBaby, Jan 9, 2019.

1. FurBaby

FurBaby Registered Guest

I've been looking at a popular consignment site. Many of the furs don't have tags. Why is that? Is that common?

2. Sometimes it’s because the original lining needed replacing.

3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Furs don’t have labels all the time because sometimes they’re custom furrier made, sometimes labels have been removed when for cleaning or repair, as Deborah said sometimes linings are replaced, and sometimes the threads just come loose from the labels fall off.

Many times size labels are not added either.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I rarely have seen a fur that still had a size label...and definitely agree many furriers did not put them in as they were custom made.
    Often you will see the owners name embroidered on the lining.

5. FurBaby

FurBaby Registered Guest

Ahhhh I see. Thanks everyone!
    I recently purchased this one... Caryn confirmed it's sable. It's gorgeous! But I was still nervous and considering returning. I'm a novice and this unfolded into my lap while searching the site (i'd share the site but i'm not sure if it's against the rules). No labels at all except the previous owner's name is on the lining. I googled the pic and nothing.... I feel better about it now. It makes sense that it may be custom made.

The pics are from the site and the ones I took when it arrived :)

Any idea how old it may be?

Attached Files:

6. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President