1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about Liberty cape’s age

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Robin Pitcairn, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Robin Pitcairn

Robin Pitcairn Registered Guest

Hello,
    I have a black Liberty and Co cape with gold lining. It is in rough shape but I am wondering if anyone has an idea of its’ age? I have very minimal knowledge of vintage items, but have developed a recent interest from visiting vintage shops with my daughters.
    I was hoping to fix it up, but being more than just a straight seam repair, it is too complicated for me!
    Thank you for any info anyone may have on this cape.
    Robin

Attached Files:

GemGem likes this.
  2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Robin -

Welcome to the VFG Forum. Thank you for posting about your cape. I checked our Label Resource (accessible from our homepage). We do not have your label but we have a very long and thorough entry on Liberty of London:

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/liberty/

The Paris branch was opened in 1890 and closed in 1932 - so that narrows it down a little. I am not an expert on this era. I "think" the cape might be early 20C Edwardian era. I am sure that someone who knows will let us know - and will also be able to help you with restoration.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a nice find. If you could put it on a dress form or person, that will help a bit in dating it. Hard to see much about the shape or length with it laying flat. The fabric looks to be a silk faille with a moire' treatment. That might help in dating when you research it. My guess is also early 20th century, Edwardian to post Edwardian.

GemGem, cmpollack and Vinclothes like this.
  4. Robin Pitcairn

Robin Pitcairn Registered Guest

Thank you for the information. I had no idea it was that old. I will continue to research and try to find a picture of what it looked like originally so I can hopefully fix it up! Or maybe I will ask our local vintage shop if they do restorations. Thank you again!
    Robin

cmpollack likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Their styles were often historically inspired - we have a black moire evening gown in the collection by Liberty of London that dates from about 1909 but its in a Medieval style. I suspect your cape is around the same time.

Robin Pitcairn and GemGem like this.