1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions on this suit.....

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Patentleathershoes, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I promise I won't start another thread referring to or asking about this suit. If people don't know but can tell me where else to look for indo, i would appreciate that too!

My three questions are as follows...(and excuse the putting in the Q&A because i know it is more modern...)

1) Based on the Yves Saint Laurent label and the Berney's International label does anyone know where this suit would gall into the YSL hierarchy...just like Versace and others have different labels...is that the case here too? It would help me out when considering pricing. (and i did see the 80s label in the label resources...) (PS I checked the Barney's site and they are not showing YSL online)

2) Secondly. I have sold men's items but this is my first full three piece suit. what other pics do men find important when they are shopping online for a suit. I may include one of the inner waistband that says YSL and the vest alone but didn't know if there was anything else i needed to know.

3) Size again. I am going to chest measure of the jacket in the title....as i have not found the size tag anywhere. for all i know it could be in the still stitched pocket, so was going to go with measuring the garment flat acrossed the chest. is this how modern buyer look or would they expecting that number in the title to be the real number size instead?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

Chris

2. I know nothing about the YSL label. Have had only one and it was shoes!

I have not sold many men's suits either but I think just take your regular pics. If someone wants more, you can always email them.

Mine didn't have a size either. I think mine had a chest of 43 inches. Would that make it a size 44? I know you have to add an inch or two. Why don't you call a men's clothing store in your area and ask or maybe a tuxedo rental place. They have to measure alot! I would be interested to know how they determine size.

I think the sleeve measurement on a man's suit is taken from the middle of the collar seam on the back straight down to the sleeve hem.

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

When we talked about size, I think it might have been Hollis (and I think Jonnathan might have also weight in) who brought up very good points about the movement allowance varying greatly from era to era on another jacket i was talking about before, and it made sense to just instruct like on vintage clothing to check other garments that fit you. I think yours would have been a 44 in the 1920s or something but today there is more room and it might have been anywhere from a 38-40. I think it was around the time Hollis sold all those great suits with dapper Monty in them :)

I just didn't know how shoppers for modern suits "searched" - i guess that is ebay culture.

I will just list it straightforward with the measurements and the small to medium indication in the title, and will see how it goes!