1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R k original dress. 50s or 40s tag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LousyLoversVintage, Mar 28, 2022.

1. LousyLoversVintage

LousyLoversVintage Registered Guest

Hello everyone!

I received the basque waist dress today. I Love it i am obsessed a beautiful hunter green and rose pattern

I cannot figure out if its tag is 40s rk or 50s. On The label resource page they look so very similar i need extra eyes and the knowledge of the dress styles to really pin point it

It also has a strange black short lining sewn in ??? Dont know what to make of it
    Here are some photos thank you

Metal zipper that was painted black

20220328_184631.jpg 20220328_181521.jpg 20220328_184739.jpg 20220328_184619.jpg 20220328_184426.jpg 20220328_184445.jpg 20220328_184725.jpg 20220328_184733.jpg

kittenteethvintage likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

195os - lovely dress. I have had a few dresses with this label.

LousyLoversVintage and GemGem like this.
  3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree - definitely '50s. Lovely dress!

LousyLoversVintage likes this.
  4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

5. LousyLoversVintage

LousyLoversVintage Registered Guest

Thank you everyone. 50s it is! Now the fabric is another thing thats stumping me.

Is chine the pattern? Or fabric? Imitation chine?

I dont think this dress is satin. Bc its not dull on one side. Has a slightsheen to all sides of fabric. But not as soft as a silk dress that i have. So its not silk.

Sateen? The fabric looks and feels light and slippery . Looks the same on both sides. Also when i try to take pictures of it it sunlight it looks black?? Why does that happen

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Chiné would be the type of print - but that doesn't say anything about the fiber/material (like silk or rayon) or the type of weave (an example of which would be satin - see https://vintagefashionguild.org/fabric-resource/satin-weave), whilst sateen specifically is cotton or cotton blend in a satin-like weave (https://vintagefashionguild.org/fabric-resource/sateen/).
    A burn test would probably help in telling you if it's silk or a synthetic fabric - I am assuming it'll be one of the two from looking at it. I don't know how high end this label was or not.

LousyLoversVintage likes this.