1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raffia clutch Handbag designed for the Hertford Handbag co. ltd

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pinkcoke, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi I would like your help in dating this raffia bag; my mum says they were making things like this at home in the 70's but I have found several examples with exactly the same labels ranging from the 50-60's, only one that is the same style of bag which is yellow and said to be 60's. They all look to be the same period to me so I'm not sure if people are dating them wrong or the company just kept the same style for many years.
    I also wanted to ask if there was anywhere I can look up a company that is Ltd. It's not come up in the uk trademarks records or my general searches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. bycin

bycin Guest

early-mid60s on this one!

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Raffia bags can be hard to date in general, so you kind of just have to go by the general styling, as they were indeed made across so many eras.

I agree your clutch is early to 60s, based on the combination of shape, clasp, lining and label!

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thankyou guys, this seems to agree with others I've seen and this company does indeed seem to have used the same label for a few decades.

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

the Companies House website is where you can search for information on limited companies. It says they were dissolved in 1992 and information has been archived, but you can contact CH for more info.

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thankyou GoldenAge this time I will favourite it so I can't lose it!