1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rare Vintage Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by jessica vega, Feb 9, 2019.

1. jessica vega

jessica vega Registered Guest

Has any one came across with a Andy Hardy Shawl Coat? I been looking every where and done plenty of searches. This coat is super rare. I saw one but it was from Japan and I was not able to gather any information, Only that it was from the 1950's. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is trademark information for your coat...
    4334E227-A319-4A0A-85CB-8CB4F2079B5B.jpeg
    What does it say on the label under “Styled By”? Is that Matusow Clothes Inc.?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Well, I would have guessed the coat dates to earlier than 1966+, but HERE is trademark information for Andy Hardy by Matusow Clothes Inc.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

According to Lynne's info above I believe that style is a Mackinaw styled jacket and would think as Lynne has pointed out that it would be older. It might originally have had a matching belt. Interesting label for sure. Have to check out the Andy Hardy movies with Mickey Rooney, maybe he wore something similar in style in one of them.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Any label I have ever seen that is tied to somethihg like a series of films is pretty much limited to the same period as those films. Andy Hardy movies were only around 1938 to 1946, so I would think the coat is from the same period.

6. jessica vega

Thank you very much for all the information... I Believe it’s from the 1930’s, Can you give me and idea for a price range.

7. We do not do valuations here. Your best bet is to look at selling venues for sold prices such as eBay, Ruby Lane for ones in similar condition. Or ask prices on those sites or others like Etsy or stand alone websites. The ask price does not necessarily mean that is what something will sell for though.

jessica vega likes this.
  8. jessica vega

Thank you, I was just curious on this coat. You all are awesome, I am so glad to know that I can ask questions.

9. jessica vega

I found this coat in my Great Great grandma's closet, I was wondering if any body knows about this tag and the type of fur.
    The tag looks a little blurr but thats how it originally looks...

Attached Files:

10. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

It is Persian Lamb or Karakul

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Jessica, can you please post new items you wish to have looked at on a new thread. It is best to do that here, because it causes less confusion and is easier for our members to note there is a new question being asked.

I see this 2nd coat more as a karakul...Persian lamb tends to be much curlier.

If you plan to sell a coat that is Persian Lamb don't use this name as a keyword as it will be pulled. The selling sites don't wish to accept the word Persian in titles even though these articles were known by these names.

12. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I’m sorry for not coming back to this thread.

It is a bit confusing but people from different countries call newborn lamb up to 12 months a variety of names such as Persian lamb, karakul which is also sometimes spelled caracul, or Astrakhan.

As MJ was saying, you can't refer to it as Persian lamb if offering it for sale because there are sanctions that disallow trading with Iran and Persia is now Iran.