1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regina Brenner

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lamerlo, May 26, 2004.

1. lamerlo

lamerlo Registered Guest

Hello. I am looking for some information and I'm hoping that someone affiliated with this board can steer me in the right direction. My grandmother (1901-1989) worked in the garment industry, specifically in handmade lingerie. I am trying to find out more about the company she worked for. I started out knowing only that her boss was Mrs. Brenner and that her place of work was located (according to my mom who is not always a reliable source) at 50 West 57th street (we're talking about circa mid-1930's to 1950's).

I have since been able to verify the address as 20 West 57th street and in my baby book, my mother noted a gift from my grandmother's boss: Mrs. Regina Brenner. Using her full name, I was able to find an article in the NY Times business section listing her new lease at 20 West 57th Street 11th floor in 1934. Also, I found an ad for Bonwit Teller which advertises handmade lingerie by Regina Brenner in 1968. Where can I research this brand lable for more information? Any help would be appreciated.

2. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

Hi there and welcome! That is some interesting info you managed to find. Hopefully, someone will come along soon with some info. I know someone is working on a lingerie resource and would be interested in the info.

Deb

3. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

I have no info on this lady but would love to know more. Her lingerie must have been very posh looking at the price they were asking for it then. 90 was a lot for a nightie. I am hoping maybe our Carolyne ( dancingdresses) comes along she may have heard of it.

How lucky to find out your grandmother worked for this lady. And that she sent you a baby gift.

If you anymore is found out about Regina Brenner would you be willing to share for a lingerie resource I am working on?

4. lamerlo

lamerlo Registered Guest

regina brenner

Of course, I will be more than happy to share any info I find out. My grandmother was from Spain and she must have learned how to make fancy lace, etc there. Mrs. Brenner's store in the 30's and 40's hand made underewear for wealthy people including Grace Kelly and various queens and princesses (literal and otherwise) according to the stories I remember my grandmother telling. You have to remember that this was at least in part during the great Depression, giving credence to the idea that high-end items are recession proof.

I assume that this is the same Regina Brenner as in the Bonwit ad, probably her family took over the business named a line for her (?) It seems too coincidental to be otherwise. Where have you been doing your research? I work in a library (medical) so I know alot of tricks but I don't know where to look next.

I am attaching the picture of "Mrs. Brenner's gang". I am pretty sure now that this is the site at 57th street. My grandmother is 2nd from the left. I wonder that Mrs. Brenner isn't the woman seated front center. Perhaps the picture was taken when they moved to the building, as per the article in the Times. I can't seem to attach more than one item at a time but will try again to attach that NY Times notice also. Thanks for your interest and any help you can lend.

5. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

How cool!

I can see a sign above her head that says something lingerie. The store window next door has some pretties in it.

I have been finding most on the internet, a little bit in books. There are some lingerie books out there. Maybe if you found some on ebay ask the seller if there is a Regina Brenner listed in the books then you can know whether to purchase.

6. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

Well, I was going to send you to the Brenner board at Genealogy.com, but see that you've already posted a query.

You might want to go back and add her given name & additional info.

Have you checked census records to glean more info?

Brenda

7. marlyandmorry

marlyandmorry Registered Guest

Looks like the sign behind the ladies says Ash Lingerie Co. There is another sign beside it that looks like Cisco and Germano Tailors? Are these two signs for the company your grandmother worked for or is the tailoring company something totally different and had their business next door?

Nanc

8. poopoolooloo

poopoolooloo Registered Guest

This is really interesting. Love the photo (check out their shoes!!!!)
    I saw what Detective Nanc saw ;) I can't make out anything else except for maybe "Marsac" ? at the bottom, my eyes are failing me. I hope you are able to find out what you're looking for.

9. lamerlo

lamerlo Registered Guest

Thanks all for the input. Yes, I have been on Genealogy.com. I bought a 1 month subscription for $20 before I found the entry in my baby book and I'm not sure if I can update the entry. I'll take a look.

I've used all kinds of photo editing tricks to try to read the names on the door signs. Asha lingerie was owned and operated by Anton Asha - I was able to find that out using a business telephone directory in the Library for the years 1935-45. There is a furrier listed: Louis Seiler Furs, a modeling agency (Kay or Key), and of course the tailor, who I also found in the directory. I was able to date the picture as approximately 1935 as a result of using the directory and finding the years all these businesses were at this address. I also put a inquiry on Genealogy.com for the name Marsac.

I can't tell who the store window belongs to, but I love the fact it is there as it adds ambience and an kind of authenticity to the photo. And yes, I love the shoes too.