1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Rust Trick/Tip WOrked For me!!!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Jluthye, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

HI all.... I am sure that most of you Vinties know this already,, but there are a lot of newbies like me out there reading these, I read on a web site that lemon uice and salt make a "solvent" that removes rust...

Well I did it... about 1/4 cup lemon juice and heavy heavy salt ( where some was left in bottom) and I used it on this dress... and one other.. and it worked great.... dabbed it on let it sit for a min... while i dabbed it on onther spots,, it bleed the rust (knew it was working then) and then used a rag with cold water to "dilute" or remove the lemon juice so as not to fade the garment.... I suggest testing on your garment first before you do this but it works!!! yay.... the pictures dont even show the rust as bad as it was... haslf way through I got the idea to take photos to share! :)

Jennifer

2. Sounds interesting: what fabric did you try it on?

3. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

polyester... and this one but I am not sure what this one is.. I am not good at all with fabrics... it is a chiffon i think? btu I dont know anything more than that... the other was like a knit poly... the dress that I poseted in QA with Jean Lutece...

Worked like a charm on that one... and note i "assume" that one was poly... a poly knit.. felt like another one I had... but no gurantees!

4. StormVintage

StormVintage Registered Guest

Hello, when you say "heavy salt" do you mean "lots of"?

5. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Thank you Jennifer. I have some dresses with rust inside the shoulder straps from their old metal hangers, and will try it. :)

6. Just be careful on fragile items as it will "eat" a hole. Ie silk and some linen.

7. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

I have had really good luck on rust stains with OxyClean spray. Spot test first if okay, spray direct and rub in. Rinse spot immediately. Also found a goop at the "dollar store" that I MIGHT call a miracle for spot cleaning. It is called M30 and comes in a little tub. It has no bad odor and so far has not damaged any material I have tried it on. It has removed rust, deoderant, and other stains...I feel better not wondering abou the origins of some of them! :o

Havent tried on silk or other super delicate fabric and would only do as a last resort but so far, so good - especially since I actually paid $1 USD for the tub!

8. Yes, I have tried both of the products and they do work. I also use spray Zout which works really well too.

9. DeCoDiVa

DeCoDiVa Registered Guest

MS G!! Look @ the info on m30

I waas amazed at your dollar store find(I love those places) and I looked the product M30 up, after all it sounds like a weapon of mass destruction. So for stains I guess it is!! Just look at the retoric below! YOU ARE ONE-BRAVE-WOMAN!

As A Stain Remover
    M30 is a unique multi-purpose stain remover that is odorless, safe and biodegradable. It removes both oil and and water soluble protien based stains. It's multi-purpose because it can be used virtually anywhere on any washable fabric or surface.

As A Household Multi-Purpose Cleaner
    M30 is a powerful concentrated household cleaner that can be used in every room of the house and beyond. Its powerful enough to cut grease and burnt on grime in the grill and oven. Works wonders on dirt and soap scum in the bathroom. Cleans formica, linoleum, vinyl, carpet, tile, sinks, diaper pails, toilet bowls and any other hard surface. As powerful as M30 is, it is still biodegradable and water soluble.

As A Hand Cleaner
    M30 quickly removes a wide variety of soils and stains, gease, printers ink, carbon, adhesives, paint, tar, gasket cement, shellac and more. Our full line of hand cleaners come with many combinations that include citrus scents, pumice, lanolin and aloe.

As An Industrial Strength Cleaner Degreaser
    M30 can be used clean motors, concrete floors, tools, lawn mowers and patio furniture. It can be used in carpet machines and pressure washers. The uses of this superb cleaning agent are limitless! As with all of our product, this degreaser is biodegradable and water soluble