1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renoma Paris handbag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jencine, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Jencine

Jencine Registered Guest

I'm in the dark on this one.... picked it up at a secondhand store I just liked the shape!

Upon further inspection the logo on the front has two interlocking R's, the inside has a metal plate that specifies Renoma, as well as the zipper pull on the back of the purse.

I did a few web queries and a gallery/shop popped up but it was all in France... also saw a short blurb on Wikipedia France for a Michael Renoma that did some clothing in the 60's worn by some popular folks Lennon/The Beatles... Ebay has a few Renoma scarves for $50...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if it's recent... vintage... a knock-off.. The stitching is tight, it feels of good quality.. It looks very shiny in the photos, but it's not.

Anyone ever come across one a these?

Thanks!
    -Karen

2. Karen, I'm not familiar with the brand but I think your handbag looks late 1960s to mid 1970s.

Nicole

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I can't authenticate the bag, but French designer Maurice Renoma is apparently the 'Renoma' of your bag. I enjoyed seeing these designs of his.

4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Oh, those chairs/settees are wonderful, Lynne! I WANT that ostrich wingback...

Jencine--the briefcase-shape with (detachable?) strap styling of your purse, as well as the metal plaque for label, makes me think early-ish 80s, when (not to date myself too much, but...) I remember carrying around a bag like that.

Another dating clue might be what sort of closure there is. Is it a magnetic or push snap? (The magnetic ones are later...)

The purse looks like it's leather lined? which to me suggests better quality. Between the quality and the fact that Renoma isn't a household name, I don't see any reason not to assume this is authentic...

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A couple of additional observations about Renoma...

Every single reference I saw to his store and fashions seemed to indicate that it was a place for men's fashions. I read references to the fact that young men were flocking there for their fashions and a 1967 article about French stores said:

"For men, Renoma, 129 bis Rue de La Pompe, can turn a male into an 18th century Beau Brummel in velvet frock coats, pointed short collars and pastel socks in 28 colors."

All of that led me to wonder if your bag was marketed as a brief case for men, although it certainly can be used by women.

Also, a 2001 article noted that:

"Renoma is the result of the dynamism and creative talents of two brothers Maurice and Michael Renoma. The original shop, located in Paris, has been in business since 1963. And today, Renoma boasts over 2,000 boutiques worldwide.

6. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

The "utility bag" for men didn't come into vogue until much later. So I would say unless it was big enough to hold full sized papers, it would not be for men. If this was in the 2000s or very late 1990s, I would say it was more likely to be the "man bag" thing. But I have seen that if a line made leather goods for men, sometimes it did so for women too. Maybe not a full line, but the accessories. I did a search and found Renoma belts for ladies and a bag that was definitely not intended for men (translucent plastic handles and dainty floral motif).

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you for the additional information. You may be on target with the accessories--and more--as I kept digging and found a 1987 article that said:

"Renoma of Paris sculpted womanly shaped dresses and suits, with knee-baring skirts, strong shoulders and fitted waists."

I had only searched until about 1970, where I later found a 1970 article that said:

"Renoma Freres, <u>the male couture house</u>, is now selling pre-perfumed suits for men that are guaranteed to keep their pleasant odors for two years..."

It seems, then, that they later branched out into women's items, as you noted.

8. Jencine

Jencine Registered Guest

You gals are awesome!

The purse is leather lined, with a round silver magnetic clasp with no makers mark. I'm thinking it's 80's as well : )

I'm glad I picked it up, it was $3.99 at a local thrift and of course it was buried under a bunch of tote bags, Guess bags, and some imitation Dooney & Burke.

I absolutely love the researching of vintage items, so much fun!

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. -Karen

9. Jencine

Jencine Registered Guest

Oh too funny.... A purse cousin of mine just got listed on Ebay! Looks like it's in Japan.... Too bad the seller didn't list any other information about it. Shucks!

10. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Jencine - just so ya know, us 'friends' aren't allowed to post any links here, so don't be surprised if the mods remove yours. It's happened to me a few times - I still forget sometimes.

Good luck with the bag. I concur on the 80's date. It's cool.

11. Jencine

Jencine Registered Guest

Oh okay, sorry forum mods! Hmmmm. I wouldn't feel comfortable saving and stealing the pictures off Ebay either to share, so I guess it's a lose/lose situation in some cases :no: Oh well.

12. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I think people can post LINKS, but people cannot post links to things that they are selling. HERE is what I found. I would ask a trade member or write a note in for clarification if you are not sure.

13. Islandgirlsummer

Islandgirlsummer Registered Guest

I see this is a quite old post but just in case you've subscribed for any updates... That Renoma bag dates to about 1994-1997 actually. Renoma was quite popular where I used to live (Guam) due to popularity from the Japanese tourists. There was a Renoma store on Guam and I've also been to one in Oahu, Hawaii. Yes, it is a French brand. Not cheap...that particular size would have been around $250-$275...nearly 20 years ago! Wallets ranged around $85-$115. The most expensive Renoma purse I bought was a black leather pebble bucket bag for $350. Again, nearly 20 year old prices, think about how much they would cost today. :)

I still have much of my Renoma collection but haven't carried them in years.

Pinkcoke likes this.