1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing zippers...metal or nylon?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Beehive Vintage Goods, Apr 4, 2004.

1. I have a couple of 50's frocks that require a zipper replacement. Should I search out a similar metal one to stay true to the original or replace with a current nylon??

Thanks for your opinions!!

2. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I save metal zippers just for this purpose. Call me obsessive, but I try to always do repairs with period materials, and that includs thread. So I always buy cotton and silk thread when I run across it, and zippers and buttons too.

I'll be glad to look in my stash to see if I have one that will work for you.

Lizzie

3. Thanks Lizzie! No big urgency here. Just going through my repair pile the other day. They are both more for the Xmas season, so I might hit you up in the Fall.

I was leaning towards metal zippers too, but was having visions of searching effortlessly for the just the right size. You all are a great resource for "stuff".

I just found a friend who will do small alterations for me, so I am quite pleased. Nice to have someone you can trust for these kind of jobs!

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I'd like for others to weigh in on this question. How picky are you about repairs? Does it matter to a buyer if the zipper is metal or nylon? Or I'm I just too particular?

Lizzie

5. schoolsgirl

schoolsgirl Registered Guest

I thought I was the only one that is obsessive about repairing with period items including thread :) just picked up a few small spools at a yard sale and they are my favorite find of the month

6. ...with you, Lizzie. ...and have been accused of having a "Great Depression" attitude about saving EVERYthing. :) ...bags and bags of buttons and beads...

Steph

7. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

I'd go for the metal zippers too. Worth looking for auctions of vintage lot of them or with notions.

And if the design of the garment will allow it, you don't have to use the exact size as the original zipper.

8. ourbabyroo

ourbabyroo Registered Guest

Another vote for using the metal zippers :)

Think about how many times we are "confused" because the zipper isn't right!

9. artisannes

artisannes VFG Member VFG Past President

Metal every time - I find them stronger too - and if they get a little stiff a squirt of WD40 using the thin nozzle helps loosen them up!

10. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

metal zippers, cotton thread (or silk on the rare occasion) and
    proper era buttons and if I can vintage snaps and/or hooks & eyes.

If I purchase a vintage dress however that has been repaired with modern
    notions, I do not fuss with changing it, just list as is and make mention
    of the alteration.

Sue