1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reproduction 1923 dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by acceber, Apr 23, 2021.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Since I value your opinions so much when it comes to dating dresses, I thought I would share this here and I hope it’s alright. I decided to clone my real 1923 dress by using it as a pattern. I bought a roll of brown package paper, laid my dress on top and traced it. I used a red flat sheet from Walmart for the dress. I couldn’t find anything I liked in the fabric store and I thought it didn’t matter much since it was supposed to be a trial run. Then I found this fantastic red net fabric with embroidered flowers and decided to upgrade my bed sheet dress. lol I used the fancy fabric on the skirt and the belt, and then cut out the flowers and leaves to do the appliqués. They are currently just pinned in place until I decide how to attach them. I mean to do the back too and bring the flowers right over the shoulders. Anyway, just a fun project. I have matching shoes (modern) and a black 1920s cloche to wear with it, once I get it all done.

F3D3447F-4A59-4CCE-9DE4-6647ED737C2F.jpeg 45531A86-0C4C-433E-A5A8-41B85E7048C8.jpeg 4593531D-CDED-4C4B-A178-508CF386D9C8.jpeg

2. acceber

acceber VFG Member

This is the dress I traced and used as a pattern.
    535BE404-382B-4F68-9ED8-FB331583D3EC.jpeg

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you for sharing this. I am very impressed and would love to see it finished - and you modeling it!

lkranieri and acceber like this.
  4. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! I will definitely share it again once it’s done. All the appliqués and the belt are just pinned on, and I still need to sew snaps on the side. It’s taken me a week or two to get this far. Responsibilities get in the way of the fun. lol

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

This looks great! There are no limits if you make something yourself! I have made a dress from a 1940s pattern out of fabric that was supposed to be for bedding, simply because I liked the colour.

The Vintage Merchant and acceber like this.
  6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

This is wonderful! Looking forward to seeing it finalized.

I've moved this thread to the Vintage Chatter forum.

The Vintage Merchant and acceber like this.
  7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! I was in Walmart to look for pinking sheers and saw this sheet across the aisle and bought it for the color. I thought it might work too, since it’s mostly cotton. I did find some nice floral crepes that I want to use to make 20s sleeveless drop waisted dresses for the summer.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you!....and oops! I’m so used to asking questions, I didn’t even think. lol

Retro Ruth likes this.
  9. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

What a wonderful project. Thanks for sharing.

acceber likes this.
  10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Good for you, taking on this project, it looks lovely!

acceber likes this.
  11. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I finally finished it this evening, aside from that I need to add some hooks to secure the belt at the side. I like it, aside from that it feels like a bedsheet. lol I don’t know if I have the accessories right and of course my hair is too long.

41525744-D849-4DF3-9EFE-770EE3E2EA82.jpeg

12. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

You look amazing! I'm very impressed!

acceber and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  13. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

agree with Terri, you DO look amazing and I, too, am very impressed!!! wow!!

acceber likes this.
  14. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Stunning! well done

acceber likes this.
  15. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! It’s been a labor of love. Every flower is hand sewn on. Took me a month and a day to make it. I tried to stick with what I know is authentic. It snaps down the side and the belt/sash will have hooks to close it. It’s obviously not genuine 1920s but I wanted it to look as close as possible. It drives me crazy, these snug fitting and short “flapper dresses” sold by costume places. lol

16. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member