1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reproduction 20s knit swimsuit? Help dating/identifying wool swimming costume

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Anna Evans, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Anna Evans

Anna Evans Registered Guest

I have this woollen 20s/30s style swimsuit which unfortunately lacks any labels apart from a hand written label in an upper side seam. The writing appears to be in a modern permanent marker, which suggests it is more recent. Can anyone do me a massive favour and point me in the right direction?
    I have been told that some fairly convincing reproduction suits were made in the 1960s- 1980s. The other possibility that crossed my mind is that it might have been made for theatrical productions.

This is in unworn condition, and has limited signs of age- some pinholes around the legs/skirt for instance. I bought it second hand via a charity shop. Some crude stitching on a seam suggests it might be a later item, but perhaps not- I am no expert on vintage swimwear. Please see close-ups for examples of stitching. The overlocked seams may also be a giveaway, but I know there can be some rare exceptions to this.

Thanks in advance, Anna

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Is it definitely pure wool? Because if not, that more or less rules out a 20s/30s date. It might be hard to get a sample to burn test though, without ruining the costume. If it's a blend of wool and nylon, or wool and acrylic, it's not that old. I can sometimes tell pure wool by feel, but not everyone can.

As you suggest, it's early for overlocking, but you do tend to see overlocking earlier in lingerie etc, than in, say, dresses.

I don't think the label tells you anything either way, as it could have been added later.

Anna Evans likes this.
  3. Anna Evans

Hi Ruth, thanks for your help. It's definitely all wool. It feels like a heavy wool to the touch, but I attempted a burn test on your advice just to make sure. Since I couldn't find any stray threads, I collected a bit of surface fluff. It burns & smells just like wool. Now that I am looking at it much more closely, I am seeing some signs of age. Some pin holes under the skirt for instance. The knit pattern on the skirt hem and leg openings is slightly different too. The knit changes from a ribbed knit to a tighter weave.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

That label looks a bit like a collection number or museum label to me, it's quite similar to labels in items I have acquired that were de-accessioned from a museum or historical society. The swimsuit itself may be 1920s, with a more modern museum accession label?

5. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

oh wow. I have a stupid question. were people swimming in these, or it's more kind of a sportswear?

Anna Evans likes this.
  6. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Like Jen said, I've seen those tags before on de-accessioned pieces.

I think it's the real deal and it's fantastic. That color!

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I agree with Jen and Susan - looks real to me, and that number is a museum accession number. And yes, people swam in them. It's ironic that they were so covered up, because wet wool leaves little to the imagination...

8. Anna Evans

Thankyou! I didn't know that! I am sure I have passed by similar labels in the past without realising

GemGem and morning-glorious like this.
  9. Anna Evans

Thankyou so much to all of you- I am delighted with that bit of new label knowledge!

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree it is an original 1920s suit. And that color is a knock out!

Anna Evans and GemGem like this.
  11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

They swam in them! My great grandmother attended a family reunion in the 1970s. After my uncle coaxed her out (and a cordial) of her room, she swam in her wool bathing suit. It was the highlight of the event. She loved to swim but was such a Victorian lady, having been born in the 1880s. But one cordial and she was in the pool.

12. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

:):):):)

13. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I adored my great grandmother (Bee) but she was stubborn as a mule about all kinds of things. Cordials came in handy. ; )