1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rescuing a Betty Barclay 50 (?) dress: Looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LaurenMG, Mar 8, 2021.

1. LaurenMG

LaurenMG Registered Guest

hi Everyone, I have this sweet little dress and the seam and fabric is torn under the arm along the underside near the armpit. I'd like to salvage it but think keeping the original line of sleeve isn't going to work. I think someone had added the little white cuff on for a costume or some such. To keep it 'authentic' looking for it's era, I was thinking I could get it made into a sleeveless dress? Any thoughts or suggestions on what to tell tailor? Thanks for any help. Lauren

Attached Files:

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I have rescued dresses with underarm issues, by putting in an underarm gusset. Usually you can find material for it under the hem - then put a patch over where the fabric was removed on the underside of the hem. It is a job for a seamstress/tailor.
    Marian

GemGem and LaurenMG like this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Sweet dress! I agree, 1950s. Marian's suggestion is right, if there is a chance that there enough extra material in the seam allowance, our your seamstress/tailor may have another idea how to patch this up. I would say making it into a sleeveless dress is the ultimate ration, but might work if nothing else does. It could be cut in the way to have a kind of cap sleeve still covering the shoulders - always assuming also that the underarm damage will not get into the way of that either.

LaurenMG likes this.
  4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Nice and I like the white cuffs and yes 50s.

I would bide your time and look and look, you will come across something you can use for a repair, you will but don't alter.