1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring a 1920s wedding dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Mar 18, 2019.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi there, this beauty is in pretty good structural state but is quite yellowed.....any suggestions on if I could DIY clean it or should I have it professionally done? There are little metal weights inside garter like tabs at the bottom so I'm assuming I would have to remove them?
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks alot.

Attached Files:

2. Personally, i wouldnt attempt to clean it. Either hand launder or dry clean with the delicate lace. i soaked a silk 30s and it shrunk and discolored more.
    Just my opinion

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Lovely.
    Your biggest risk in hand washing or soaking would be uneven shrinking of the three different fabrics. If the yellowing is relatively even on each fabric, I would be inclined to sell it as found - could be considered a feature, not a bug.

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I agree. I'd be concerned that the lace and tulle would disintegrate under the weight of the water.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What a beauty! If the discoloration is the only real problem, I agree that leaving it as it is is best. Is it spotty or blotchy? I actually love the color it is now, very "antique chic".

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Agree with as is, due to the fragile nature of that kind of tulle lace...I have had lace like that disintegrate in water, even when steaming. It tends to be super fragile.

7. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks everyone for the words of caution! It is not blotchy so I think the as is is prob best way to go. It came with it's original silk stockings, satin shoes and head gear. Given the size of the shoes I think this was a woman somewhat larger than was the norm so they it is probably wearable by a human!

8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I would love to see the rest of the outfit!

laurenm and Flannery Crane like this.
  9. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

After months of wondering the same, I risked it and soaked a 1905 lace wedding gown in Restoration and it come out beautifully.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

lace by itself is washable - the issue here is the mix of materials - lace, silk, the weights in the hemline... I wouldn't touch it either, and I think you will find its more saleable if you keep all the pieces together - a collector will be more interested in acquiring it.

laurenm likes this.