1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring a 1960s evening gown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Joji Furukawa, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

I found this absolutely gorgeous 1960s gold evening gown at the thrift store a couple of days ago however it has a couple of issues and I’m wondering what I should do. It’s amazingly constructed, very heavy (there are actually weights in the hem), and made in Paris. The beading around the collar is unfortunately coming apart and there are a few beads missing. Fortunately, the beads are attached to netting which was then sewn onto the dress so it is easy to remove. What I’m wondering is whether the beading is worth restoring or not. It’s very well done but simple enough to recreate. Alternatively, the beading could be removed and the dress worn without it. However, I definitely think it adds to the effect. Also there are a couple of dark stains that need to be removed. What products would you auggest using? Finally, does anyone have any info on the label? I’m assuming that couture in this case means tailoring or dressmaking. It’s a fantastic piece and still full of life! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Could you remove the third row of beads? Try covering it up with your hand (or a kleenex) and see how it looks. You might try Folex on the stains.
    Marian.

3. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

That’s totally possible! The beads are in a sequence of 2,3,1,2 so if I made them all 2 it would still look nice. Thanks for the help Marian!

4. I generally just secure the beads so no more come off, and if it looks uneven, move some to fill in gaps.

It's a sensational dress but stain-removers are likely to damage the fabric so I would leave as is. It looks like a dry clean only dress, badly stored unwashed which has created the marks. Or you could sew beads over the stained areas if they're really obvious.

Joji Furukawa likes this.
  5. bycin

bycin Guest

I would try a very very light daubing with Folex on the stains. Light as in almost vapors.

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Start with a cloth wrung out in lukewarm water and see if that reduces the mark any - sometimes it will. If it doesn't help then you can start introducing some cleansers, but spot cleaning often ends up with no stain removal, but a cleaner spot around the stain, which makes it more noticeable. As for the beadwork, I would secure what you have and not otherwise touch it. If you start diddling with the original design intent you will reduce the value of the dress. You could consider moving one or two beads from the back to the front to have the beadwork perfect at the front, but that is all I would suggest you consider changing. I've never heard of Jalain, but the address is good...