1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richard Shops suit - 1960s or 70s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hi All

picked up this gorgeous little richard shops suit - it’s in fantastic condition so I wondered whether anyone had any thoughts as to likely age based on style?

It was sold as 70s, but I wondered whether based on length of skirt it could be a little earlier...

many thanks

Impey

Attached Files:

Distantdetails likes this.
  2. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

I had a suit very much like that one in 1970.
    Love yours!

3. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

I love it too! would it make sense late 1960s / early 70s as kind of transitional style?
    Impey

4. Distantdetails

Maybe, but let's see what some of the better experts say about it!!! I always enjoy learning from the collective group!

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Impey you find the best vintage UK high street stuff! That is so fab!

Is the skirt length definitely original, not rehemmed?

I think you could be right about 60s/70s cusp, especially if that is all it has for care labels. If it were much into the 70s, I would expect to see some symbols.

I had this, with similar labelling. I think I put it as 70s, but was also wondering... I can't remember if my hem length was original or not.
    DSC_0429.jpg
    DSC_0439.jpg

6. Retro Ruth

I'd quite like to add a Richard Shops entry to our label resource. Maybe you'd like to submit your label? especially if we get some other date opinions.

I have an 80s one I could add too.

7. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Awww - thank you Ruth, I just buy the things I like, but it is a really lovely shape. I’m not sure about the skirt length but will check when I get home

thanks all!

Distantdetails and Retro Ruth like this.
  8. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Definitely happy to add my label. Not quite sure how to do it though?

I also have a Van Allan one which could be useful, and the Berkertex / Berkerknit one!

9. Retro Ruth

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  10. Distantdetails

Impey, thank you so much for expanding our Label Resource!!!

11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What a great suit. And I love the dress too. I see early 1970s, with the short skirt, the 1940s retro influences, and the slightly puffed shoulder.

12. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Just to say, I’ve checked and I’m pretty much certain that the short length is original - both the outer layer and the lining look like they were always this length. Not sure if this alters the dating - my guess is late 60s early 70s. Either way it’s totally fab!

Distantdetails and Retro Ruth like this.
  13. Retro Ruth

Between us we are getting to a fairly narrow range in the late 60s to early 70s bracket.

Distantdetails likes this.