1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romney Model Dress.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Avantbo, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thought I would share this, nothing special but I like it.

Found it crunched up and seriously creased in a set of antique drawers I purchased a few years ago. For photos below I have given dress a shot of steam.

The Romney brand was owned by C.R. Welford, the company, ( a family affair ), was formed in 1927 and lasted some 70 years until 2000, I will try to get round to doing further research on the company.

I'm not sure of the era of this dress but I think 70s-80s onwards. It's in good condition. but that shawl collar would annoy me.

It's a light printed cotton summer dress, cool to the touch, with a nylon zipped side but I think the zip may have been replaced..

Model houses/manufactures were important to the fashion retail trade after both wars, up to late 50s when they went into decline.

I like it, what do you think?

Attached Files:

ThePetticoat5 likes this.
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I see why you like it - I would like that print too! If you find out more about this company, I'm sure our Label Resource team would appreciate that - you could post this here: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/post-labels-for-the-label-resource-here-2021.73117/ There are so many of those manufacturers out there that produced great everyday clothes and about whom very little is know.

I have an inkling though that your dress is a bit older - more likely 50s or 60s. It's a bit hard to see the shape - is the skirt straight or a bit flared? Could you post a photo of the zipper? You are right that this could have been replaced, but I'd still like to see it :).

3. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I tried the label resource team a couple of times before, introducing a couple of unknown labels, it didn't workout the way I thought it might, so I made a decision, future research I would be better writing when introducing the item or any research on another members item in the thread/post its self.
    Darn it! , Damn it! Midge, I can't seem to get the hang of accurate dating.

I had wondered if dress was older, in fact I thought late 30s, early 40s but looked at it again and then again and decided the print was making it appear older then it was although it falls comfortably within time frames for the manufacture.

Below is a couple of photos of the zip, I'm pretty sure the original was metal, the dress feels as if it had a metal zip, if that make sense.

The replacement nylon zip, while not a bad stich job, is to long, it's not a poor colour match, perhaps a lighter green would have been better tho' or cream.

It flares, it is not so apparent from my first photos, there are pleat folds front and back of dress.

Its lovely and soft, slides around like anything and very summery and light.

Attached Files:

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks - unfortunately it's hard to see much in these photos. Can you post a larger close-up of the pull and teeth, and maybe one showing the stitching?