1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rose pattern fabric dress no maker label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LousyLoversVintage, May 27, 2022.

1. LousyLoversVintage

LousyLoversVintage Registered Guest

So after my last fiasco. I wanted to just ask anyone if this particular fabric looks familiar. The dress has no tag very well made i think late 50s early sixties

Wrap style? On skirt not sure what to call it

Does this dress look like it could of come from a designer ? So many rose patterns exist. I just don't want to miss something like last time. I did an image search etc

20220527_111410.jpg 20220527_111415.jpg 20220527_004738.jpg 20220527_111358.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. LousyLoversVintage

LousyLoversVintage Registered Guest

I would say it looks made commercially if it isn't the seamstress was well skilled at homesewing.

All parts look even. All stitching in neat bodice is Lined in black acetate

There is fraying inside the seams of the dress. When you turn it inside out that is
    Its very difficult to tell in this case bc I have seen alot of dresses that are so obviously homemade and others that are but it looked so great it looked commercial

I always have a knack for finding unlabeled things or homesewn things annoying but fun lol sometimes

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is lovely. I have had a few similar dresses, but not exactly as yours. I am seeing circa 1959 - 1960 on this dress.

When I first saw your post, I immediately thought of the dress Eve Marie Saint wore in "North By Northwest". Not the same style or exact same fabric, but this dress brings that to mind. Her dress was a Balenciaga, and Balmain also did a similar black with red roses silk print cocktail dress in 1958.

Perhaps this dress was inspired by those designs.

Last edited: May 31, 2022