1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rust stains on covered buttons, any advice?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, May 30, 2009.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi everyone,

I have this nice dress with large self covered buttons on the sleeves and on the bodice. The buttons are stained with what looks like rust. The underside of the button is metal. I know you can get rust remover, though I've never used it, but I was wondering how well that would work as the rust must be coming from the metal button itself. And would the rust remover react with the metal in the button?

I think the dress is rayon, though I'm not entirely sure. It's probably early 50s or thereabouts.

It's a lovely dress otherwise and in good condition.

Any advice?

Many thanks

Ruth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Honestly? I would just replace all the buttons. The metal base of the covered buttons is rusting, so it will be an ongoing problem.

3. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I agree with Jody. They really can't be salvaged.

You could possibly take fabric from the hem to make new ones if the hem is wide enough.

4. Retro Ruth

The self-covered buttons are such an intrinsic part of the dress, I don't want to replace them with a substitute; and I'm not sure if I could get enough fabric from inside to make new self-covered ones - there are eight of them and they are over an inch across.

If there's no other solution, I'll just keep them as they are, fortunately with this pattern and colour they aren't as obvious as they could be with a different fabric. Thanks though, I did think there probably wasn't an easy answer, and you've confirmed that.

Ruth

5. Retro Ruth

Ah, posted that before I saw Lizzie's reply. The hem is sadly narrow, there is fabric facing the neckline, but I think it would spoil the dress if I cut it all out, and I'd need most of it, as I said they are over an inch across.

6. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

Even if you were able to get the rust out with Wink or something, the fact is, the cause of the rust is still there. The issue will return.

7. Retro Ruth

Yeah, thanks, that's what I thought. I just thought maybe you vintage angels had some 'rust-stop' solution I didn't know about! One lives in hope... :)

I just looked at the dress again and I may be able to take enough fabric from inside the sleeve turn-ups. I've never made self-covered buttons, but I expect it's not too difficult.

8. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Just make sure you get flat rimmed buttons to cover, not the half ball or domed ones. Some stores will still cover for you and do the fabric or tuft back like the originals. However, they may want more fabric than you can spare.

Hollis

9. joules

joules VFG Member

Honestly, I respect that you'd like to replace with self-covered buttons, but it may be more trouble than anticipated. I would replace with a cool vintage set of buttons. It would be fun to find just the right ones.

10. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Would it be possible to remove the fabric, clean it, and then re-use it with new button backs?

11. joules

joules VFG Member

12. Retro Ruth

thanks for all these suggestions, this is great! I will keep an eye out for a replacement vintage set, but it would alter the look of the dress quite a lot, especially as they'd need to be so big.

I just tried taking one button apart, and it's possible I could clean the fabric, and then it occurred to me I could even take them apart, treat the metal with a rust-proofer, clean the fabric and remake the original buttons! It's a lot of work and will I ever get round to it? who knows! But I have some ideas now.

13. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Actually, to see the dress in full would be good. The other way of going with the buttons is to cover the replacement metal buttons with similar fabric with a colour from the print. Silk would be a good choice.

14. I agree with the others; replace the buttons with vintage versions or make new ones out of a similar (or complimentary) fabric. Or leave as is. I've done all kinds at times.

You could dismantle the existing buttons but even if you managed to remove the rust (unlikely) you wouldn't be able to recover your existing bases (assuming you could rust-proof them) and if you wanted to make them into new buttons you would probably end up with smaller buttons as the edges would be frayed. Freshly cut fabric is best for making new buttons.

Nicole

15. Retro Ruth

Here's some shots of the dress. Sorry it needs an iron! As you can see there is fabric facing the neckline, but I think it would spoil the way it hangs to remove it? Only an inch at the hem and seams. But behind the sleeve turn-ups it's fully lined in the same fabric, and I think there might be enough there. Or I suppose covered buttons in the pink of the fabric might be nice. Or perhaps I'll just leave them.

I'd be glad to hear what you would do though, now you've seen the dress. It's one I bought for myself, but I think I'm going to sell it, as I've only worn it once in about 2 years!

Has anyone heard of Ann Kauffman, btw?

Ruth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Thanks for the extra pics Ruth: I love the sleeve treatment.

I would leave as is, especially if you're going to sell it - the new owner can decide what she'd like to do. The rust isn't very noticeable - it wouldn't put me off wearing it.

If you did want to get new buttons made, you could replace the neckline facing - I'd just take the whole lot off and replace with a pink acetate. As you say, if it's just removed, the neckline won't sit as well.

Nicole

17. Retro Ruth

Many thanks Nicole, I hadn't thought of replacing the facing - that's why it's so great asking on here!