1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

So, are there any tips on differentiating between the two? I recently sold a mink coat and received a note saying the huge cuffs and collar were sable not mink and that she appreciated the great deal. So, I usually can tell mink, but apparently not so much sable... :)

Here is a pretty jacket with what I thought was mink, but perhaps sable? I dunno! furtrim1.jpg furtrim4.jpg

foofoogal likes this.
  2. blubirdboutique

This is the coat I was referring to with the mink and sable trim. I guess now I can sorta tell the difference. I seems... fluffier? I think the trim on the jacket is mink then? Any idea of dating on the lace one? Thanks!

il_fullxfull.1047651616_p0wy.jpg

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The fur does not look like sable on the cuffs.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

Yep, Barbara's right and you were right about the fur on the cuffs of the jacket which are mink. The body of the coat is mink but the collar and cuffs as your customer told you was indeed sable.

Sable fur has more density than mink, there are more furs per follicle, the guardhair with a silkier texture, and is lighter in weight than mink.

Here's a photo of a portion of sable fur. Notice how my finger tips are submerged in the fur. This does not happen when pressing your fingers into mink.
    Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 11.36.41 PM.png

Here's a photo of mink next to the mink trim on your cuffs.
    minkcomparison.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  5. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Caryn - is that unusual - to find a sable trim on a mink coat? I haven't seen that before.

6. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Gorgeous little lace jacket whatever it is.
    I also have little understanding of fur.

That finger test may help. Thanks.

blubirdboutique likes this.
  7. blubirdboutique

Ohhh thanks! :) This makes a lot of sense. I've been finding a lot more fur pieces lately that I like, so it's wonderful to have such expert sources for help!