1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sam Kee Woman's Shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by emsien, Aug 24, 2019.

1. emsien

emsien Registered Guest

Hi

I bought some vintage woman shoes at an estate sale and one pair has me stumped.

Inside the shoe it says

Sam Kee
    Boot and Shoemaker
    PO Box 6737
    Handmade Shoes
    Imperial
    Supreme Quality

That's the only markings on the shoe. They are an open toe high heel. The only reference I can find to a Sam Kee shoe maker is one form Hong Kong in the 60/70s but all those references talk about men's shoes. And I don't under stand why they would have a PO Box in the middle of the logo if they were from Hong Kong.

Does anyone have any idea of woman's shoes with this information on them? Looking to date them and find out any information I can on them

Any info would be apprecated

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Your shoes are early 80s - maybe even 1979ish. Hong Kong had a great reputation for high quality couture dressmaking, tailoring, and shoemaking (especially using exotic skins) from the 1950s to the 1990s. Cruise ships and international flights had stopovers in Hong Kong and the bespoke fashion trade geared their work for this international trade. Items were often not ready before the tourists left, so the finished items were shipped in the mail - thus the PO Box for contacting them. Unfortunately, ever since international trade tariffs were dropped, Hong Kong was returned to China, and China itself became a huge manufacturer of cheap shit - the reputation for Hong Kong quality has plummeted.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  3. emsien

emsien Registered Guest

Hi Johnathon

Thanks for the info - very interesting. I know this is a long shot but is there anyway to tell what they are made of since they aren’t marked.

Thanks
    Merv

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

They are snake - python.