1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAY WHAT?-Designer Names Pronunciation Guide

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by TheVintagePeddler, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Wow, now I can say them in my mind correctly!:hysterical: Nice resource.

2. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

The Italian translator sounds like he is 2 breaths away from death!

fun site~

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

lol -- he does sound VERY depressed...

I have been pronouncing Thierry Mugler and Romeo Gigli incorrectly for years! THe Shame, The Shame!!!!

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That was fun!
    Hollis

5. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Neat!

But it doesn't have the one I always forget to ask about... Schiaparelli:BAGUSE:

is that "ch" hard or soft? I always thought it was soft and that the beginning rhymed with the name "Gia"... but I've also heard people pronounce it hard like "ska"

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I have always understood that Schiaparelli 'sch' should be the same pronounciation as school so Ski-ap-arelli

The two that are always mispronounced are Molyneux which should be pronounced Molly-nucks (not moly-noo)and Mainbocher should be Main-bocker (not man-bo-shay).

7. That's funny, Jonathon. Thierry Mugler and Romeo Gigli were the first two I listened to.

8. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

The Italian sounds like he's weary to the bone from telling, for the thousanth time, stupid Americans how to pronounce ( for example)

Ermenegildo Zenga

ErmenEH-<i>JILL</i>do GHEN-gah? Who knew? Not I, though I thought I did till now :)

But absent from the list is one of my favorite, tres ponderous designer names,

Ann Demeulemeester (it's deh-MULE-eh<I>MEESTER</I> or so I've been told - haven't yet taken the opportunity to elicit the derision of a Barneys salesperson by asking where I might find the clothes bearing her name). Not that she designs for that 'label' anymore - but

those darned Belgians!

:)

Carolyn

9. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I didn't see Rudie Genreich

jen_ryke?

Gen-rich?

10. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

GERN-rikke (with a good gutteral Germanic <i>eeekhe</i> on the second syllable) ??

GAYRNE-reek?

Clearly I don't know! Just fishin' :)

Carolyn

11. Trevira

Trevira Registered Guest

This is so useful!

I made a spectacle of myself at a talk by Wayne Hemingway at Borders in Brighton. He mentioned the latest 'must have' handbag (during his angry dismissal of the current fashion industry and why he was no longer involved) - a baguette, but he couldn't remember the name.

So of course I pipe up, and shout 'Fendi' making it rhyme with 'bendy'. Heck, I've never heard anyone say that name so how was I to know?

He corrected me nicely - 'Fondie' - and everyone laughed. For far too long! :BAGUSE:

12. Trevira

Trevira Registered Guest

Hang on, I've just checked and the bored Italian says Fendi like bendy too.

Smartypants Wayne was wrong!

13. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

My stupid computer will not let me play the sound bites!! I was so ready to be educated!! Here is one that I'm embarassed to say I've seen written but never heard...Ceil Chapman - Is it Kyle, Keeul or Seal or none of the above.

14. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

I've never really known how to pronounce Lanvin.....anyone know? Ang

15. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

schiaparrelli...

like SHE - a -parrelli....

hth
    x

16. Trevira

Trevira Registered Guest

Carrie - I'd guess 'Seal' for Ceil, but I'm a very unreliable witness!

Dorothea - I'm pretty sure its 'Lon-van', but see above and check with someone else before you announce it before an audience. ;)

17. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Schiaparelli is Ski-ap-are-elly

However, I was wrong earlier when I said Mainbocher should be pronounced Main Bocker. Apparently when he was young, he pronounced it 'Main Bosher', but when he went to France he made it more French sounding and did pronounce it 'Mahnboshay'. However, Molyneux was definately pronounced Mollynukes -- that is in the Hardy Amies biography.

18. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

well l guess they pronounce it differently in france!! l'm not gonna tell my mum and dad that they are wrong after all these years!!! LOL

19. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Schiaparelli in her book says that people mispronounced her name all the time. Because she worked in Paris her name was often incorrectly pronounced in a French manner but she was Italian and the Italian pronounciation is correct of a hard K sound with the ch.