1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scarf Identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by wrenfield, Mar 10, 2021.

1. wrenfield

wrenfield Registered Guest

Hi I'm looking to identify this vintage scarf, it doesn't have a label. It's quite large. Maybe it's a design you have seen before? It was my grandma's and seems really special and just curious about if it has a story.

Any thoughts or comments welcome! Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It's really lovely, and with the insect border, quite unusual. It reminds me of the sort of thing that might be sold in a fancy museum shop, like a natural history museum, or a botanical gardens like Kew.

I can't quite tell from the photo, but I think it has hand rolled edge? If so that's a sign of quality. Can you tell if it is silk?

3. wrenfield

Hi! Thank you so much for these thoughts, I so appreciate the time and care. I'm not sure if it's silk, that was something I was curious about too. Are there any guides you might direct me to to figure out the material used? I'm also not sure about the handrolled edge - it seems to have some strands coming undone, all seems so delicate. I could definitely see her having been to a museum or garden and seen this, thought it was stunning. I keep looking at the design and trying to find an artist signature but no luck so far.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. Retro Ruth

It's tricky because the best way is a burn test, but you can't do that with a scarf, because you need to be able to cut a small piece off. The only thing I can suggest is see if you can tell by feel, by comparing to something you know is silk.

If you show a close up of the edge, both sides, we can tell you if it's hand rolled.

wrenfield, Midge and Vinclothes like this.
  5. wrenfield

Oh, interesting! I’m not very familiar with these materials but someone suggested it could be satin, not silk, like, it’s kinda slippery.

I’ve attached some pictures and appreciate your interest! Trying to figure this out feels like a sweet way to be connected to my grandma.

I’ve tried reverse google image searching and it points to scarfs with “South African botanicals” which is interesting. They’re definitely unique flowers, like the Passion flower, and what seems like bird of paradise.

Thanks for your interest!

Attached Files:

6. Retro Ruth

It's a bit hard to see because it's black, but I think it's a handsewn/handrolled edge

Satin is a weave and can be made of silk or other fibres. Eg you can get polyester satin, or rayon satin, or silk satin.

Vinclothes likes this.
  7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

8. Retro Ruth

Now I'm on my computer rather than phone, I think you are right.

9. wrenfield

oh very cool. i didn't realize there were different kinds of satin. it definitely is sewn on the edges but unsure if it's machine or hand sewn. maybe i'll look closer in better light and see if i can tell. thanks for your interest and thoughts. it might just remain a mystery!