1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sealette coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by tea&cake, Jun 9, 2009.

1. tea&cake

tea&cake Guest

Hello,
    I have a sealette coat from my husbands grandmother. Its in amazing condition. I cant find any information about it. I found an ad for it on ebay and thats it.
    Just wanted to know background on it. If its anything special and of course if its worth anything? Any information would be great!! Thank you.

Amanda

2. sounds intriguing Amanda.. can you post a picture of the coat and the label for us?

we'd love to see it, and perhaps could offer more help.

thanks,
    yvonne

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

yes, pictures really would help us help you, Amanda! :hiya:

4. APrizeEveryTime

APrizeEveryTime VFG Special Friend

All I can determine is that it was an artificial fur popular for ladies' coats in the early 20th century. Here's an ad I found online. So sorry it's just about impossible to read:

[​IMG]

Also found an ad for a reproduction of The 1901 Editions of the T. Eaton Co. Limited Catalogues for Spring & Summer, Fall & Winter, in which they advertise "butter-churns, ostrich feathers, men's fur coats, brass and iron bedsteads, organs, shoo-fly rockers, graphophones, bibles, seal lined underwear, Agnew's heart cure, wigs, ladies' automobile and sealette coats, medical batteries and, of course, Granny's Gift Box of Tom Smith's Toy Crackers."

It sounds really cool, especially if it's in great condish.

(Imagine! Seal-lined underwear!)

5. APrizeEveryTime

APrizeEveryTime VFG Special Friend

P.S. If you have a local furrier, you might want to give them a call and see if they can tell you anything about sealette. There may well be an old-timer there who would love to expound.

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member