1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sears, Roebuck and Co. Hercules Work Clothing - NOS Checkered Shirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by A.O.T., Mar 19, 2023.

1. A.O.T.

A.O.T. Registered Guest

I attended a auction a couple years ago on a century farm for a gentleman who died at 101 years of age.

I was able to buy three boxes fo vintage clothing for $4.00.

Almost all the items were still inside cellophane or plastic bags and those that were not were still folded and pinned to a fiberboard or tissue paper inserts.

I think most range from the 1960s to the 1990s.

I removed the pins and insert on this piece, which was not in a bag, to take better pictures.

Looking to date this piece. The squares in this checkered pattern are approximately 1/8" wide.

Also, it appears I may have another logo to add to your Sears article referenced below:

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/sear-roebuck-company/

I had initially offered some of these pieces on eBay but decided to pull them off eBay due to suspected suspicious activity. This included various bidders located outside the U.S. (i.e., Japan) trying to purchase items using a U.S. reshipping company address in order to bypass my block of customers outside the United States. I also received numerous offers on this this shirt to end the auction early - the highest being $300 from a buyer in Japan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Just wondering why you wouldn't want to sell to Japanese buyers? That's quite likely where your highest bidding audience will be. They have a huge interest in vintage American work clothing.
    I found international shipping a hassle and very much appreciated when international buyers used a re-shipper to purchase from me. It's a fairly common practice and I never considered it "suspicious activity".
    My first impression of your (very cool!) shirt is early 1960s but let's see what others say.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

what a fabulous gingham shirt! great label, too!

I agree with everything Donna says about the Japenese market and the shipping brokers they use; the ones I have worked with made the transactions very smooth.

As to age? the label and the smaller front pockets with angled hems have me thinking maybe earlier than 60s, but the length of the collar points have me thinking a bit later, like 1970s, maybe; i'm interested to hear what others have to say.

It's a great shirt, what a wonderful acquistion you've made!!!!! ($4? color me very jealous!)

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  4. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

I think the collar points more towards 40s. The 70s dagger lapels were much longer.

I also appreciate when international buyers use shipping companies. They absolutely know the responsibility is on them, from the moment the shipper receives from you. And, all of my high end 40s-50s menswear goes to Japan. It just does - they are willing to pay more and already have an inflated resell market and a lot of very specific and wealthy collectors. You might rethink your strategy, as they are willing to pay for what you have.

5. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

I too, agree with what others have shared regarding Japanese buyers and US shipping centers.

I got lucky and found your exact shirt in my 1953 Spring-Summer SEARS catalogue.

Thank you for granting permission to use your label image in our Label Resource. Please upload an image without the watermark. You can add it to this thread or post it here.

hercules_1953.JPG

A5C79ABB-66BF-43BB-A9AE-1B25C73E67DE_1_201_a.jpeg

6. A.O.T.

A.O.T. Registered Guest

7. A.O.T.

A.O.T. Registered Guest

I've been on eBay since 1999; however, I dropped out of international shipping around 2010 due to the increased risk and how eBay's treatment of its sellers in the face of even outright buyer fraud.

Back in day it was 100% safe, from the standpoint there was no possibility of fraud, as buyers sent U.S. cash. Europeans also were motivated to send cash as their banking fees were very high. They would typically place cash inside aluminum foil so it could not been seen by placing the envelope up to the light.

I recall reading articles multiple years ago about Japanese paying outrageous prices for vintage American jeans and so forth.

I sold vintage Apple dealer items to a collector in Japan back in the day.

I realize this a common practice as my TOS requires buyers to:

-Be U.S. citizens.
    -Have a residential or business address in the 50 U.S. States or APO/FPO/DPO address.

The TOS prohibits:

-Package forwarding addresses.
    -Gift addresses.
    -U.S. Protectorate or foreign addresses.

All countries are also blocked within listing and eBay settings - a list of prohibited areas is inserted by eBay on each listing.

This is included in my TOS so that any attempted purchases by buyers outside the U.S., as well as any feedback they attempt to leave, is null a void since there is no valid sales contract.

The suspicious activity is that these buyers intentionally ignore my Terms of Service.

Some 99.9% don't ask if they can buy an item and wrongly assume they some how can force you into selling them the item, even leaving negative feedback when you don't sell them the item (which is removed by eBay).

At least two of the recent offers from Japan were from accounts with hidden feedback. The account only shows a 100% positive feedback rating based on the last 12 months; however, since buyers can only receive positive or no feedback these days it pretty well meaningless.

Shipping it to a reshipper would also leave less liability for the shipping should a scam occur as it would only involve shipping it inside the U.S. versus a much large amount to ship it to another country. Offers on this shirt were as high as $300; however, the shirt would have to be shipped via Priority International as you can't buy USPS insurance on First Class Package International. So we would be looking at $63.09 + a insurance fee of $12.75 for $300 of coverage if the included $200 of insurance was not enough.

Shipping it to the reshipper does not actually provide any protection as the buyer can make a claim with their bank, payment processor and credit card entirely separate from eBay. So it really comes down to do you want to play Russian roulette.

8. A.O.T.

A.O.T. Registered Guest

Thanks for the input.

This thread includes a post stating that Hercules was discontinued in 1965.

https://forums.vintagefashionguild....tage-hercules-jacket-label.38605/#post-372067

9. A.O.T.

A.O.T. Registered Guest

The buyer can still file a complaint with their bank, payment processor or credit card which is entirely separate from anything eBay is promising.

A valid tracking number to the reshipper will not prevent this.

Thanks for the information.

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I have some of my very best bidders coming from Japan (especially on work wear and menswear they often pay ridiculously high prices), China and a other countries.

Not sure if you know, but Ebay has a brand new updated Global Shipping Program as of 2023 and all sellers must opt in to this program. This really covers you from scammers as Ebay completely takes over the shipping process. You send the item to Ebay's ship center in the USA and they send it on to the buyer's country. Ebay takes all fees from the buyer, the VAT, customs forms and fees, shipping costs, full insurance, etc. Ebay covers the seller (and the buyer) with a 100% guarantee also. If an item is lost or confiscated, the buyer gets re-imbursed and the seller gets to keep the buyers money as well. I know, this has happened to me several times and I have never lost a penny.

Also, I have dozens of good repeat customers on Ebay with USA address to a re-shipping service, usually in Oregon or Delaware. I have never had a single problem in the last decade on this issue. It is a common way for overseas, particularly China and Asia, customers to buy from USA sellers and keep their shipping costs down. It actually helps sellers IMO by bringing in more bidders. And higher prices for the seller.

As for private feedback, I have never had a problem with a buyer on that end. Many dealers and bidders, often with deep pockets, use private feedback for good reason.

I think you might want to look into this, and re-consider your TOS. Of course, it is your choice. but especially with your items, you have a red hot market in Japan.

Best of luck!

11. A.O.T.

A.O.T. Registered Guest

This does not prevent the buyer from filing a claim with their bank, payment processor or credit card, which is entirely separate from anything eBay is promising you.

Any number of scams can be run using this technique - simply make something up - as can be demonstrated by many online accounts by sellers.

I got a empty box.

I got something else instead.

I don't recognize the transaction.

My account was hacked.

Its the wrong size.

---

Recently someone from the USA bought a figurine that had been made in various forms by a company for decades. Buyer sent a picture claiming there was a chip. It was not the same figurine shipped to the buyer, but another version. The backend of their figurine in their picture came to a point whereas the one in the listing was a flat elongated plane. The underside of the base was different.

Buyer said they were not going to bother sending it back, but of course wanted a refund. They then left negative feedback when their extortion didn't work. Of course they were not going to send it back because the broken one was not the one shipped to them. No chargeback on this listing but eBay did nothing to remove the feedback. Any five year old child can tell its not the same.

Back in day a buyer cancelled their PayPal payment right after getting their tracking number. They simply claimed it was the wrong tracking number. This was an attempt to steal the item, shipping and the money. Fortunately I was able to have the carrier retrieve the package from their system and send it back to me, which they did for free at that time. eBay & PayPal did nothing and even denied it was possible.

China is literally the world leader of theft.

The only way I'd ship high value items is with a payment by Zelle. Bank to bank transfer. Free. Can't be reversed.

---

The first thing 99.9% of these foreign buyers do in my case is violate the terms of the sale by attempting to buy an item they are not legally entitled to buy.

12. Flannery Crane

Flannery Crane VFG Member

I sold a Hercules 1940s mens plaid coat. I will have to look in my photos and forward the label photo- etc. If I haven't already.

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I have never had any issues with shipping to Japan or to one of those US based reshipping companies.

14. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

The eBay global shipping program sure makes it easy to ship overseas and the Japanese buyers are the least problematic of all my overseas buyers. They are great collectors of vintage workwear too. I'd do it.

I think this shirt is early 50s.

15. I, too, have been an ebay seller since 1999. In all those years, and in thousands of sales both domestic and international, I have only had two recipients attempt to scam me (unsuccessfully)... and they were in the US. Guess I've just been lucky?
    As others have said, eBay's Global Shipping program really helps increase safety. But scammers are out there, both domestic and international.
    I've guess I've just been greedy/willing to accept some level of risk in order to achieve the best prices in what is essentially a mail-order retail market. But then, I've rarely been lucky enough to have vintage American men's workwear (hot, hot, hot in Japan) to sell so my percentage of international buyers has always been relatively low. If there are only a few pieces, the monetary loss may not amount to much more than a few hundred dollars. But if there is a lot, one will likely be missing out on thousands of dollars by excluding the Japanese market.
    JMHO, of course. You must do what you are comfortable with. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  16. Rue_de_la_Paix

Donna hit the nail on the head. You have to be "willing to accept some level of risk in order to achieve the best prices". It is one of the bedrocks of Capitolism and free market economies. Once you do the numbers, the money to be made far exceeds any risk you may (or may never) experience. It is a basic rule of business. With 997 wins vs say 3 losses, you come out way above in profits. And you write off the losses. But if you are just too distrustful of people, then you lose a huge market. Most of us prefer to see the good in everyone. I also agree that my Japanese buyers are the best, never a single problem in 25 year of online selling.

17. Rue_de_la_Paix

There is always the fact that you can just sell only to USA buyers, that fine too. Just keep in mind that some of those who buy your goods will be dealers and sellers who will then re-sell them to the Asian and Euro markets and make some decent to wild profits. Depends on where you want to be in the food chain. Again, best of success with what you have, they look like great shirts. :)

18. A.O.T.

A.O.T. Registered Guest

I thought I'd add this interesting "feature".

The inside surface of the front panel is marked with factory tailer's chalk.

Both sides have "16 1/2" and what appears to be a "1" inside a circle. One side has "R" and other has the left portion of a "L".

I am thinking that the panels were the top pieces of fabric in a stack of fabric from the cutting floor. As each part of the shirt is cut the stack of fabric is marked for easy identification by sewing room.

The two photos with the shirt folded will have the most accurate color as they were taken outside in natural light. The remainder, with shirt removed from the inner fiberboard panel and pins, were taken inside due to a stretch of bad weather.

[​IMG]

19. A.O.T.

A.O.T. Registered Guest

So far they have shown rather untrustworthy behavior.

They intentionally bypass my Terms of Service and eBay settings which clearly say no buyers from outside the U.S. and no reshipping company addresses.

They send offers ranging from $75 to $300 to end a auction early. I have found similar era shirts that are described as used, or with a unspecified condition, with prices of over $500. This is new shirt.

They purchase items that then have to be cancelled and relisted.

At least two had hidden feedback, which is strange considering buyers can only get positive feedback or none at all.

They fail to ask permission to bid or buy.

20. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Dear A.O.T.,

GREAT shirts.

As for your other concerns, I totally understand what you are saying. I've made my peace with purchasers not reading Terms of Sale. Since you said 99.9% "attempt to violate your TOS", your experience is similar to mine! I've always looked at that as not reading the TOS, rather than the buyer reading the TOS, and then trying to "get one over on me". Really, though, to each his own, right? You say tomahto; I say tomato.

I sell vintage jewelry, and almost all of it now goes to the Asian market, via a US consolidator. That is so much better for me, because I do not sell to non-US addresses--I was never very good at getting all of the details right on that.

Again, thanks for showing us these wonderful shirts, and sending a new label for our Label Resources. Totally cool and great information.

P.S., When I sell on eBay, I often get those offers to end the auction early. I always decline, as it doesn't seem quite right. But I don't mind folks trying to do that--it gives me the knowledge that people are looking. I'm always as nice as I can be in my reply saying "no", since that person might be the one who ends up purchasing the item!!