1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secrets of the Museum, BBC documentary

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Retro Ruth, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I'm 2 episodes in to this fascinating documentary about conservation and curation at the Victoria and Albert Museum. I realise it probably isn't available in every country, but thought I'd just make you aware of it for as and when it comes to you, and you may be able to watch the clips on the BBC website, such as conserving this Mary Quant mini dress.

There's quite a lot of fashion, preparing for the Dior exhibition in Episode 1, and a House of Worth dress in episode 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000f1xt

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Oh so wish I could see the episodes! The clips are great.

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

these are fascinating! wouldn't it be fabulous to have one of those mechanical slant boards with built-in drainage to work with??? WOW!!

thanks for sharing, Ruth!

4. Retro Ruth

I know! I see that and can't help comparing to my efforts, leaning over my bath tub!

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Retro Ruth

Yes, I know there are ways and means to watch BBC if you know how!

7. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

The Fashion History Museum posted a clip from this on their FB page showing a textile conservator and I just found it so soothing.

8. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Yes I love this series- but as it is N/A in Australia, I am only able to watch the short clips on facebook. I am hoping that by the time I get to the UK in May, that the V&A Museum will have this in their shop as a DVD.

Distantdetails and Retro Ruth like this.
  9. Midge

Yes, Mediahint is pretty good, you can pay monthly or a whole year ahead, it's not that much. For me it's worth it just to watch missed programs or some BBC3 stuff...

Retro Ruth and sewingmachinegirl like this.
  10. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Oh - I enjoyed the clip - just wish I could have seen the finished product. She said that dress was lined with a different fabric and I find it really tricky to hand wash a lined dress. (Something shrinks). I wonder if the lining was taken out?

Retro Ruth likes this.
  11. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

I saw a clip on Facebook featuring her conserving the Mary Quant dress. Thanks for posting here...so intriguing!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  12. Midge

I have been catching up online so I can watch the rest on TV. So interesting!

Amanda, she washed the dress in one. Cotton lace over acrylic lining. It looked great in the end when it was put into the exhibition.

I am downsizing my wardrobe - I have too much stuff that I never wear, mostly because they're not really practical in a sense of every day wear. So I decided to offer two dresses for donation to the museum in Vienna - the fashion collection (Modesammlung Wien) of the city museum. I e-mailed the curator photos and descpritions, and she said they'd love to have them! A 1930s and a 1940s dress that are both in very good condition, and with labels from manufacturers or dress makers in Vienna. My two star finds from the same second hand shop in Vienna. I'd figured they might be of interest due to their labels, and I am very happy to see them go where I feel they will be appreciated :). It's funny, I decided on this and got it going before watching this series, but I can absolutely relate to the ladies donating the dress / her grand mother's saris in this series - even though I had mine a lot less long and they're not heirlooms. They're kind of precious to me because they were such unexpected finds.

13. Retro Ruth

That's really lovely that your dresses will be in a Museum!

14. allison marsay

allison marsay Registered Guest

this sounds amazing, I will have to watch!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  15. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Didn't Daniel Milford-Cottam (Mabs1810 on the original eBay VCA board, and early member here) work at V&A? Does anyone know if he's still there?

16. Retro Ruth

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Racked Vintage likes this.
  17. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Just to say the US and Canada can get BBC programmes on 'BritBox' subscription service (its not dear either at $5.99/month) sorry its not available in AUS :(

18. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

I wish we could! We can get some BBC programmes with a Foxtel subscription but is too expensive to be worth it.

19. Midge

Mediahint is $3.95 a month or $39.50 a year, works fine for me on the laptop, though not on the iPad. I pay per month - so I don't pay for the months I'm away or don't need to catch up on anything online. Added to that you just need a BBC iPlayer log-in with a UK postcode, but not a full address. I just used a correct postcode from one of my UK buyers, but the log-in is in my name and I always click "yes I have a TV licence" (which in fact I do, it's just a Swiss one)... :BAGUSE: I figured, I watch so much BBC and after all I pay for that on my normal TV, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to catch up on a missed program or episode here or there.