1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking 1950s undergarment/lingerie piece

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by xEFFYx, Jan 26, 2018.

1. xEFFYx

xEFFYx Registered Guest

I am looking for something similar to this item that Cyd Charisse wore in the 1957 movie "Silk Stockings". It appears to be a single piece as opposed to a top and a bottom, but it is so fitted. Does anyone know what exactly this type of garment is called? I have something similar from an earlier time, the 1920s I believe, but it is much looser fitting and I don't actually know the name for it. Any hints as to how I may go about looking for something like this? For example, names of brands that might have made something like it, or specific search terms? I'm assuming since this movie was made in the 1950s, that this is a 1950s piece, but I've never seen anything quite like it before. My fear is that it was made specifically for the film and is not a common item. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

- Effy

[​IMG]

Sazz Vintage likes this.
  2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Look for Teddy or Teddie underwear. Lots of online choices.
    Marian

3. xEFFYx

xEFFYx Registered Guest

Thank you! I thought it looked like a type of teddy but I hadn't been able to find anything similar through searching with that term so I thought I must be wrong. I'll try again and keep searching.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  5. Cyd runs behind the screen so quickly it's hard to get a good look at her garment!

Something like this? (Not my listing and I don't know the seller.) I found it by googling 1950s satin teddy.

6. Yes, it looks like a teddy, although she's either wearing it with a bra or the bodice is structured to give her support. If it's the latter, it might be a custom garment, as they're rare. Teddies are usually loose and comfortable as they're not structured garments.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I would also refer to this as a teddie. The 1920s ones were indeed looser fitting, some of the 1930s versions fit closer to the skin. I am relatively sure that Cyd was hand sewn into this garment by one of the costumers, to make it as close and figure fitting as possible. So finding a ready to wear thing that fits like hers seems doubtful.

These were revived in the early to mid 1970s, and fit a bit closer to the body than the 1920s versions.

You might find a vintage pattern and have it custom made to your measurements and specifications. But that is a bit of expense.

Wasn't she something? What a dancer, what a figure, what a face, what legs!

Sazz Vintage likes this.
  8. xEFFYx

xEFFYx Registered Guest

Thanks so much for the links, guys! Those are all beautiful and very similar.

@Circa Vintage @Rue_de_la_Paix I suspect you are both right and that it must have been tailored specifically to her body. I have searched and searched and never found anything so structured and form-fitting. I just love that whole dance scene from the movie, Cyd Charisse was such a beauty and I've always lusted after that stunning, one-of-a-kind teddy!