1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking advice on Gemini wool cape

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by morninglemon, Apr 9, 2015.

1. morninglemon

morninglemon Registered Guest

I recently purchased a gorgeous Gemini wool cape, possibly from the 1970s (strictly based off eBay and Etsy listings, because I couldn't find any other info about Gemini Wool Company). It's in excellent condition, almost as if it was unused, and the collar area is lined in black velvet and the rest in black silk/poly.

The problem is that it is very heavy (being 100% heavy wool AND completely lined), and it is 46 inches in length. I'm 5'1 (or about 60 inches tall), which means the cape is nearly my height, minus my head, neck and a hint of stubby legs. I'd purchased the cape for personal wear, but its weight and length deter me from regular use. Should I have it altered? I normally hate altering vintage significantly, but this would require chopping off a large amount of fabric.

My roommate thinks I should leave it as-is because she likes the length (she thinks it'll keep me warmer) and thinks it's unusual for capes these days. I think if I were to leave as-is, I'd probably wouldn't wear it, in which case I'd sell it.
    If I were to shorten it, I don't know what would be an appropriate length for my height. I initially thought just above the knee, but my roommate thinks that would make the cape look very wide on top (it's also about 1-1.5 sizes too large for me at the shoulders, but that doesn't really bother me as I usually layer). She thinks I should hem to just under the knee.

Any suggestions or advice? If I go the alteration route, I'd go to a professional tailor as it seems to be a lot of work dealing with the heavy wool fabric plus the lining. My parents' sewing machine probably would not be able to handle the fabric thickness.

cape.jpg
    This is not my exact cape (pulled from an old Etsy listing), but it is the same style, brand and color.

2. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Nice cape! Personally I would advise you sell it, trade it, or give it as a gift, and find another that fits you well, now that you are armed with a better idea of what size and length you would prefer. Especially if it's big in the shoulders this is a lot of alteration and will probably cost as much as buying a different one. Maybe you can find a lighter- weight one as well that will make wearing it more appealing to you.

I say this as someone who has, over the years, clung tenaciously to various vintage garments I loved but that either did not fit or flatter me. They ended up languishing in the closet and going unworn until I finally sold them. :)

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I agree that in your position I would sell it and find one the right length for you, as the shorter hip-length (or possibly knee-length in your case) are far more common and it would be a great shame to shorten one of this length when you can get what you want (in vintage!) ready made. They are prevalent in welsh tapestry patterns here in the UK (and bright colours!) the plainer neutral tones seem to be more european or perhaps later 70's. I would search for a belted cape / coat.

4. morninglemon

morninglemon Registered Guest

Thanks for the advice. I will reluctantly sell it. It's lovely and I've been looking forever for a belted cape, but I have to accept that I'm not the right size. I too have held on to vintage items for years that didn't fit me and as much as it hurts to list them, my closet thanks me in the end. Back to the search!