1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking Date & Maker of this tapestry evening bag made in Austria

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 50sVintage, May 19, 2022.

1. 50sVintage

50sVintage Registered Guest

Hello Everyone!

This tapestry bag is from an estate of which the owner died at age 90. "AUSTRIA" is imprinted on the hardware (photo 1.)

The tapestry part is very well made in that there doesn't appear to be a single loose thread or blemish on the outside. I believe the frame contained marcasites but the only one left is on the dangling embellishment below the clasp (photos 2, 3.) The lining is very soiled but intact (photo 4.)

I'd love to know an approximate date of manufacture and the maker, in the event anybody recognizes the characteristics of this piece.

TIA!

vtg tapestry marcasite purse (5).jpg

vtg tapestry marcasite purse (4).jpg

vtg tapestry marcasite purse (3).jpg

vtg tapestry marcasite purse (2).jpg

vtg tapestry marcasite purse (1).jpg

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. 50sVintage

50sVintage Registered Guest

Me, too. No responses yet . . . . . possibly it's just too generic . . . . however even a general era would be helpful. I don't think it's as old as Edwardian, do you? I'm thinking 40s - 60s, however the detail just under the rim gives the impression, in person, of mother-of-pearl but it is not. This makes me think it's more 70s. But that it's so soiled inside while the lady who owned it was fastidious throws me and makes me think it's much older and she acquired it second-hand at some point. Any ideas, really, are welcomed!

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Handbags are not my forte unfortunately, but I think it could be earlier, at least I don't think it's newer than 50s. The frame would have been made in Austria, however, the actual bag could also have been made somewhere else.

50sVintage likes this.