1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking info for elusive silk loungewear, "Maryionne Paris" (?)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ObliviousBlack, Jul 7, 2018.

1. ObliviousBlack

ObliviousBlack Registered Guest

Hello,

I recently found this gorgeous silk and lace nightwear set from a vintage store in Bonn, Germany. I can tell by the label, my prior knowledge of vintage clothing and the feel of the silk that it is of good quality. However, I cannot find any information regarding this clothing brand, which I am so curious to learn more about! I would classify it around 1940-1950, but I am not so sure. I am guessing high to medium price department store?

I have attached an image of the label, which is sewn vertically into the back seam of the pants. There is another label sewn in the top, which is a robe. This label is identical to the one in the pants. The silk material is in French, English, and German meaning these would have been possible consumers. I have tried spelling the label many ways, it seems to be Maryionne Paris, but this too is debatable.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 12.45.18 PM.png

Would appreciate any information you might have in helping me classify this item!

Thank you.

2. The name is Maryvonne and, according to Trademarkia, they started business in 1978; so your nightwear cannot be any earlier than this, but with the content labelling in 3 languages I suspect it is newer. Photos of the piece may help narrow down a date.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Vintage-1940s-Silk-Chiffon-Blouse-w-full-5-720-24.jpg

I had a blouse with this label that I had thought was 1940s. I have owned this blouse for over 30 years and had it tucked away. Finally decided I would no longer want to wear it myself and put it up for sale.

It did not have the modern label and my label was beige in tone matching the colouring of the silk chiffon of the blouse. It appears after seeing this guest post hers that that I was incorrect in the dating of mine. This designer must have had a penchant for the older styling and perhaps for using older fabrics.

4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I was really intrigued by this for some reason and decided to research who is behind the label. I believe I found her and possibly an answer to why even though the trademark is from the 80s, these garments appear so much older. Truly fascinating. Her name is Maryvonne Herzog.

Here are a couple of links about her which are regrettably in French:

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryvonne_Herzog

Maryvonne Herzog, Créatrice Expose sa sublime lingerie :
    https://www.ouest-france.fr/normand...-creatrice-expose-sa-sublime-lingerie-4162360

The interview with her, translated below, sums it up nicely:

“How did you start your career?

I am a trained pianist. It was by marrying the grandson of a Parisian fashion house, which employed up to 600 people in the 20-30's, that I discovered an impressive stock of lace. Captivated, I decided to wake up this sleeping beauty in 1970. Thus was born a passion and a profession that I learned. I created lingerie sold in my Parisian shops. A dream world! What made the success of my lingerie is that I viewed the lace by dyeing it: black Eiffel, ink blue, cherry red, golden yellow. And being of Lyonnaise origin, I associated it with silk, which I also dyed and wove wide, to create loose-fitting negligees, with new forms. I gave back youth to this art of yarn, whose manufacture in Calais is of excellent quality.

After twenty creative years, did you then work for the greatest of haute couture?

Indeed, it had become difficult to sell to private clients. My workshop lacked means and it was proposed to me: a reorientation through a contact with the house of Chanel. I had the pleasure of working under the direction of Karl Lagerfeld. Sublime work in technical corsetry. I remember the furious periods of the collections. I also sewed for Dior, Lacroix, Balmain. An exhilarating time!

You closed your company in 2000. Since then, what are you spending your time on?

On the important work of archiving: 3,000 pieces approximately, lace, fabrics, dresses, lingerie, a collection of buttons, documents, furniture. I also donated 30 pieces to the Galliera Museum. My dream now? To be able to transmit all this heritage to a foundation to create a museum-workshop-school and to develop creativity around lace and lingerie. No such establishment exists either in France or even in Europe.”

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Good sleuthing! What a fascinating story, and now all else makes sense. Wikipedia says one of the movies she contributed to is 8 Femmes... I've seen it before, but recently recorded it again. I feel doubly motivated now to rewatch it :).

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you so much, Victoria for uncovering that article. In the case of the blouse I had she did not dye the fabric, it was obviously kept intact in its original state and would most likely have been from her very early years when she began doing this.