1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sewing Doctor-backstitches

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by claireshaeffer, Jan 3, 2021.

1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

This was copied from Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide

"The strongest hand stitches, backstitches are used to sew and repair seams in hard-to-reach places, under-stitch some fabrics and couture designs, set zippers by hand, and complete garments when a machine is unavailable.

Working right to left, secure the thread. Take the stitch 1/8" to the right of the thread, bringing the needle out 1/4" away, to the left. Take the second stitch by inserting the needle at the end of the previous stitch. Make the stitches longer or shorter as desired."

There are 8 stitches/inch in the directions above. For a stronger seam, make the stitches closer together. The stitches on some Worth gowns were about 1/16".

Many bespoke tailors use this stitch for the shoulder and armscye seams.

The backstitch can be adapted for half backstitches, prick stitches, and pick stitches.

upload_2021-1-3_9-53-57.png

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

This is the most important stitch out there, isn't it Claire? I use it wherever I can't imagine making the machine go. It is as solid, and more adaptable.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I remember learning to do this stitch in grade school in my sewing class.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

The backstitch has more elasticity than running and machine stitches. This makes it ideal for some seams.

I agree it's perfect when it's difficult to machine stitch.