1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shakespeare Shake-Up ~ VFG Fashion Parade for the week of July 25th

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG Fashion Parades' started by carla rey, Jul 24, 2016.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

To commemorate the 450th anniversary of Shakespeare's life, the Royal Shakespeare Company is spearheading a three year Jubilee concluding in 2016, that will involve theatre performances, events and live streaming cinema around the world. This week, we honor the world's love for "The Bard" in our own little VFG way.

Whether in the vein of a history, comedy, tragedy or drama, parade out items with these Elizabethan characteristics from all vintage eras: Heavily beaded gowns; Any heavily embroidered item; Corset-bodice gowns (both low and high necklines); Empire-waist gowns; Laced-up peasant dresses/blouses, vests, boots; Petticoats & hoop skirts, corsets & nightshirts; Shirts & blouses with lace at the collars & cuffs; Lace handkerchiefs; Jewelry for men and women that feature jewels, including earrings, hat/shoe buckles, brooches, gold chains, ropes of pearls, rings, bracelets, watches; Gloves; Fans; Feather-plumed hats, velvet hats, bejeweled hats & hair ornaments/crowns, Juliet caps, London flat caps.

"The play's the thing" . . . so include costume-style items reminiscent of Shakespearian play characters, for example: a uniform/headdress for Nurse from Romeo & Juliet; or laurel headpiece/toga for Julius Caesar; or magical items for Fairies in A Mid Summer Night's Dream; or jewelry/gowns for Cleopatra in Antony and Cleopatra.

.jpe

2. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

3. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

5. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

8. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

The 1970s was a great era for romantic medieval/Renaissance inspired Boho looks. These should all be clickable links.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

11. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

"There 's daggers in men's smiles" (Macbeth) -- William Shakespeare

Quoting Shakespeare on our VFG Fashion Parade FACEBOOK page!

[​IMG]

12. Not sure if this shot of Dame Elizabeth was from The Taming of The Shrew, but it looks like La Perigrina on her forehead! I know she wore it in Anne of a Thousand Days when she made a brief appearance. http://www.dameelizabethtaylor.com/peregrina.html

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  13. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

Loved reading at that link, Bonnie!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  14. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

15. I loved Elizabeth Taylor and enjoyed her book on her collection so much. She was quite the gal and accumulated one of the greatest collections of historical pieces owned by a private person. She actually came to the town I live in when she was married to John Warner and he was running for US Senator from Virginia. Even though at that time, she had put on a lot weight(said she had been eating a lot of fried chicken) she was beautiful! I did get a photo which I have somewhere and she was wearing a white dress with red polka dots and a matching scarf wrapped around that gorgeous face!

16. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

17. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member