1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shattered silk

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by nsweezie, May 27, 2004.

1. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

Hello!

I have a dress, from the late 50's early 60's, and I noticed today that there is some shattering on one of the sleeves. The dress isn't particularly valuable, but it is a favorite of mine that I enjoy wearing.
    I know there isn't anything that can stop the shattering, as too much area is affected, but luckily it is just on the sleeve.
    I'll probably just take the dress to a tailor and make it sleeveless. My question, is there any way to prevent shattering, or to stop it from becoming worse?
    Thanks a lot!
    Louise

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi Louise,

From what I have read, no. Unfortunately!

I know with old silk flags they are sometimes sewn between two
    think layers of sheer very fine fabric (the name of which is escaping me),
    to try and preserve them for display longer.

I know your pain! I have a gorgeous ivory and blue floral strapless
    circle skirt silk Suzy Perette, that has started to shatter along the
    bottom of the bodice and top of the skirt... :(

Sue

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Its a kind of built in self destruction thing. The unofficial word in the conservation world is "super nova" of materials. A lot of plastics and synthetic materials have super nova qualities, and some natural materials like silk, depending on how they were made and treated when manufactured in order to increase the weight, lustre etc. of the silk.

Nothing you can do.

4. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

Thanks for the advice, it's just what I thought.
    The plus side is that the shattering is only on one sleeve, the rest of the dress is fine, so it's off to a tailor to remake the dress minus sleeves.
    Louise

5. retrogirl

retrogirl Registered Guest

I've got two lovely late 1930s-early 40s dresses that have started to shatter in the underarm area (no doubt from perspiration eating away at the fabric for 60 some odd years.) I spoke to a lady who specializes in restoring vintage wedding gowns, and she said it is possible to back the shattered area with silk, thus allowing the dress to be worn again, if only lightly. I am going to have her work on these two dresses in the hopes of preserving them in their original state a bit longer!

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I think good storage can help - not too hot, not too cold,even temps, not too damp. But some fabrics just like to shatter.

Hollis