1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shawl with small sleeve? How would this be worn?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Aug 26, 2019.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I have what I believe is an early 60s dress, made of silk satin. It came to me with a generously-sized shawl. One of the shawl is looped over, gathered and sewn, creating an opening that tapers to one side. The most obvious thing I could imagine doing with this was to put my arm through it, and it goes on, but probably not all the way to the shoulder even on a very small person. How would this have been worn?

IMG_1686.JPG
    yellowgreenrosesheath.jpg
    IMG_1707.JPG

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I can't figure this one out from the photos, Maggie. Silk is sumptuous!!!

3. denisebrain

Yes, it's really gorgeous silk!

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Does the flat end of the shawl perhaps pull through the opening? In the way a scarf pulls through a loop.

I can't really see what's going on from the photos so this is just a guess...

5. denisebrain

Ah, that might be something to explore! I can't rephotograph the shawl right now as it's being cleaned, but I will try testing that theory Ruth. Thank you!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Are you sure the shawl "goes" with the dress? In the photos it looks like it's a different color and different type of silk. Just wondering???

P.S. LOVE the dress!

7. denisebrain

I don't think I was all there when I photographed this! :BAGUSE: Linn, the shawl definitely goes with the dress; the silk peeking out from under the bodice is the very same as the shawl. Suzanne, I have left the shawl at the dry cleaners, and will check back when it is photographed again.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Could it be worn like a cuff style, that is with only the forearm going into the cuff as you show it? then the rest of shawl is draped behind one shoulder and over the other? Hard to describe what I mean without having it to drape.

Wonderful dress.

9. denisebrain

Well that's just what I had originally thought Barbara. I felt as if I'd seen something like that before, but I can't begin to conjure an image with that going on. It is a beauty of a dress...thank you!