1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoe Question (Oh Jonathan ...!!!)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by amandainvermont, Sep 21, 2019.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I picked these up at a yard sale. The woman said they were cleaning out her grandmother's house and she thought they were from Finland.

Are they strictly decorative? They are very stiff. And quite petite - about nine inches back heel to front curl of toe.

They look like they have some age?

shoes.jpg shoesunder.jpg shoesside.jpg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

They are Persian but I can't be more specific because I never found examples that were identified to a town or specific region. They are definitely east of Turkey, north of Saudi Arabia, west of Afghanistan, and south of Uzbekistan - essentially the area of modern day Iran. Worn for horseback riding (thus the heels), and probably dating from the early 20th or late 19th century. The leather has red rot (typical of vegetable tanned leather dating after 1840 and before 1920.

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

gosh, I love this place. thanks for sharing, Amanda, and thanks for sharing your knowledge, Jonathan. :wub::wub:

4. amandainvermont

THANK YOU Jonathan. So much for coming from Finland! The "red rot" is in the leather I guess, as there's no appearance of any kind of rot or "devils dust" - but the leather is very stiff. Are the soles sewn on (It looks like white thread) rather than cobbled together with shoe nails? That's what made me think they were decorative.

5. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

They look like Khussa shoes, I have a pair for women.
    afsa.jpg afsc.jpg
    But I have seen them with curled toes too. Amanda, just google vintage khussa.
    Look at this pair on Pinterest.
    Code:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/443393525786232555/

6. amandainvermont

Thank you MS. So much to learn, so many informed members!