1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoe Questions and Interesting Shoe Store

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by amandainvermont, Dec 28, 2017.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

shoe3.jpg shoe2.jpg

My questions - approximate date for these shoes? They have some scuffing - sell as is or try to clean them up? They are ivory-colored leather and the weaving is some kind of plastic. They are labeled “Custom Grade” and “Geutings Reg. US Pat. Off. Peerless” … and what looks like “Shoop-Tred-Last”

Researching the label took me to a very interesting 1938 advertisement for the GEUTINGS Store in Philadelphia.

The header on the ad says - “America’s Master Shoe Store now Becomes America’s Greatest Shoe Store.

The Geuting Shoe Business had moved to a new building. “Its new home is a 15-story building of lordly spaciousness on each floor and it will literally house ten shoe stores under a single roof.”

At the top of the ad there are also photos of five Geuting men and at the end of the ad it says:
    “PLEASE NOTE THIS WELL — Geutings is one of the few great stores left that preserves the personal touch of its founders with its customers. Five Geutings, as indicated by the accompanying photographs, personally and professionally supervise every department of the store. Hence our slogan, “Ask Mr. Geuting” is not a mere phrase.

Bet the area small shoe stores were less than thrilled!

2. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

Super cute shoes which I would say are from the 1930's. I would guess the store are totally family run. I would leave the scuffs and let the customer deal with it.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would say 40s or early 50s on these. I have a very similar pair in Navy Blue that I still use from time to time.
    Also had a black pair just like these that my grandmother gave to me when I was 16, I wore those right out, they are very comfortable.
    Hopefully, Jonathan will chime in about the scuffing.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

This is one of those styles that began in the late 1930s as a high fashion summer shoe but went on being made with little changes into the 1960s. The style became popular with older women - the lower, sturdy heel was more comfortable and lace closures could be adjusted during the day as feet swelled. Because the lacey panels feel plasticky, they are probably nylon, which means these wouldn't exist before spring 1947 (aside from some nylon stockings hitting the market in 1940/41 - nylon becomes a wartime industries material and is only used by the U.S. government until 1946). These look 1947-1956ish, the later ones (post 1956) tend to have padded insoles and are made with the matronly foot market in mind and tend not to be as well styled.

cmpollack and Robin of Frocksley like this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

PS: try an art gum eraser (the brown ones) to remove the scuffs. You could also try a damp cloth with a tiny bit of dish soap if the eraser doesn't work.

6. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

Funny to see clothing and shoes from he 30's go from being trendy and young to being matronly in peoples eyes....

7. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Thanks - Jonathan - I remember my grandmother wearing similar shoes (without the peep toes) in the 50's. This pair has no padding. I'd guess late 40's. Everything else in the box was pretty much 30s and 20's. They are marked size 6 AA. Are these sizes the same today or way different, like vintage clothing sizes compared to today's sizes?

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The sizes should be comparable, but despite shoe sizing being an industry standard that has had no real changes since the late 19th century, construction and materials changes how shoes fit. I find that I wear everything from a 12EEEE to a 15D!