1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoulder snaps

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Jun 7, 2017.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I often see snaps inside the shoulders of vintage dresses - both parts, often hooked together with a little string. Is this some earlier way of allowing you to secure the dress on a hanger? ...or is it a sign that there used to be some undergarment that would have been snapped in? Thought I'd finally ask since I've been curious about it for so long.

2. Good question. They are snapped around the bra straps. Keeps the straps from falling down.

3. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Yes - there was a time when seeing a bra strap was sloppy and tasteless.
    Imagine that....

IMG_1511-1-e1438820915667.jpg

4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Generally, they were used for sleeveless garments; however, better garments with sleeves often have them.

They are called lingerie guards and they hold the undergarment straps--bras and slips in place. In addition to thread, the lingerie guards can be made of ribbon, seam binding, or lining.

5. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! I thought it might be for some reason like that. I can't say I've seen them on any modern dress, but definitely some from the 30s to the 80s.

6. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

I've seen them on modern dresses. I have a few Kate Spade dresses that have them.

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I used to have a Nine West dress - purchased 2009 - that had them too. At haberdasheries here you can still buy ready-made ones to sew in to garments. Very handy. I have a few vintage dresses that have them, and some where I added them because I hated my bra straps to show. It also helps to keep the dress in the right place on the shoulders and dress straps from slipping. Works both ways!