1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showing off my DeniseBrain dress!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Better Dresses Vintage, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Finally had a chance to wear the dress I bought from VFG Trade Member Maggie Wilds. And I'll be wearing it again when I return to Asheville and the Downton Abbey costume exhibit (this time, to see my BFF's mom, who'll be visiting). No one else will know it's a few years more recent than the latest DA episode -- they're only in 1924, and this is a somewhat later style ; ).

Here's the album with the dress --> http://bit.ly/SalvageSpring2015

And here's the post about "Dressing Downton" (wearing another dress from VFG Trade Member Marzilli Vintage!) --> http://betterdressesvintage.com/blo...bit-visit-dressing-downton-at-biltmore-estate

2. You look fabulous, Liza!

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What fun....it fits perfectly, Liza. Great dress so glad you found it, looks super on you!

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

You look smashing, Liza! Thanks for sharing!!

Gail

6. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

LOVE!

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Liza,

You look lovely, and your friends look great too. It sounds like a wonderful day.

9. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

You look great in both dresses. The dresses were very nice, you are so pretty, and you really looked fabulous in both of them. You actually made me wish I had places to attend to wear clothing like that too. Very nice. Thanks for sharing. :)

10. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

Liza, that dress looks like it was made for you! You look amazing!

11. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

12. Aww... thanks, folks. Appreciate it.

Caryn, you've got to MAKE places/events to wear this stuff. Hook up with local vintage lovers and dress up for "whatever." Go to tea, or out to drinks. Find an old-fashioned themed place/exhibit/event and dress up to go.

When I went to the Dressing Downton exhibit, you can bet I was the only one in antique clothing. And FYI, those Edwardian parasols make standing/walking around a lot easier on the back. I felt like the Dowager Countess, leaning on my cane, but hey, it helped!

Also good for putting your vintage stuff to use, sign up with any local casting companies you can find (do a Google and/or Facebook search). Then watch and wait for period/costume productions and apply. Anytime they ask for "upscale" or "party goers" or "formal" or "gala," I apply. I usually wear vintage (nobody knows it's vintage).

Here I am (in blue 1950s dress) in the background on MTV's "Finding Carter" (Season 2, Episode 3, the party scene). Great fun! If you want to see it in action, here's the full episode (party is about halfway through): http://www.mtv.com/shows/finding-ca...-ever-getting-back-together/1735440/playlist/

FindingCarterCollage.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    peaceful vintage and gaildavid like this.
  13. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

That is awesome, Liza!!! woohoobanannaemoti

Gail

14. PastPiecesVintage

PastPiecesVintage VFG Member

Liza, you look so beautiful and regal in everything that you wear. Kudos. :wub:

15. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

WOW! Our Liza is a star! But we knew that.....:USETHUMBUP:

16. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

How fabulous you are. Bravo!

17. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Well you have just opened my eyes to ways to find places to go to like this Liza. I will do as you say and maybe in the future be able to do as you do or have done. I have often felt like a bit of an awkward person when going out because I do not drink and so while everyone toasts with pretty alcoholic beverages I am the singled out sober one. Sometimes I think it makes my fun factor seem lower. I do like tea a lot though so if I could find events like this or costume/theater events that would be right up my alley. :)

How very cool too you in the background there of Finding Carter. I have noticed people in the backgrounds of shows before and wondered how they got their parts.

18. Caryn, we can be sober together. I'm too much of a control freak to have ever enjoyed drinking, especially in excess (and for me, excess if one full glass of wine!). I'm not a teetotaller, but many times I've sidled up to a bar and ordered a ginger-ale or a "sea breeze, without the breeze," LOL. I'm certainly no less fun (and much tidier) than my drunk compatriots. Don't let that stop you.

After the "Salvage" event, Kat, Sarah, and I went to a local cafe. They both drank wine. I drank tea. Nobody cared.

And anybody can be an extra. All it takes is (a) a film industry in your area (b) a desire to get up at 4am and work until 2am for $68, and (c) a desire to do the exact same thing 45 times. Oddly enough, it's actually a lot of fun. While you're doing it you think, "This is torture. I am never doing this again!!" And then, just like childbirth, you forget and do it again. LOL.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  19. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

You're so right to make those opportunities to wear vintage, Liza! I love reading about your adventures as an extra. If I didn't have a full-time job I think I would be tempted to do it too. But then the film industry here isn't too active either...

One of my colleagues at work, that I get along with really well, doesn't drink a drop of alcohol - simply because she does not like it at all. She's no less fun for it. And in of the other teams on our floor is a girl whose family is from Tunisia. She's young and fashionable, you'd never guess she's muslim too. So she doesn't drink a drop of alcohol either. It doesn't stop her from coming to the local pub too when sometimes we go for a few drinks after work on a Friday night - and she's usually among the last to leave.

20. So I went back to Biltmore on Wednesday to meet up with BFF Ellen and her mom, who I hadn't seen in nearly 13 years -- far too long. It was cold and rainy, so I didn't dress up. By the time I arrived, they'd finished seeing the Downton exhibit and interior of the house. We ate lunch and took a guided bus tour of the hidden areas of the property. Fascinating. I had no idea the estate was so "green." Very forward-thinking, ecologically speaking. They are all about sustainability. Very impressed.

But the really interesting thing is that Ellen told me there was a couple there dressed in 1890s costume (the house was finished and occupied in 1895, if I recall correctly). She said the woman looked like something out of Hello Dolly (thus, I'm guessing costume, not originals). What this means, of course, is that I've got somewhere to wear my Marzilli polka dot dress, if I dare. It's wool, so probably not until fall. Who wants to go with me?
    1890sPolkaDot1.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.