1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signature Identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Richard van Daalen, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Richard van Daalen

Richard van Daalen Registered Guest

IMG_0612 2.jpg . Does anyone recognize this signature? It was on the inside of a coat my wife bought a few years ago. I will post more info....this post will only upload one pic at a time.

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Richard van Daalen

IMG_0630 1.55.10 PM.jpg Here's the coat

3. Richard van Daalen

IMG_0629 2.jpg Here''s the label inside the coat.. Really appreciate any help....I would like to surprise my wife with any information you can find :)

4. Lovely coat. Looks to be very soft.

Where is the placement of the signature label? Wondering if it may be the name of the person who originally owned the coat.

5. Richard van Daalen

IMG_0631.jpg Hi Deborah,
    Thank you yes it is a very nice soft coat. The signature was inside the lining of the coat on a pocket. Could it be the signature of the person who made the coat?

6. Thanks for the additional photo.

My guess is that the label refers to the person who owned the coat as I have never known a makers label to be so well hidden. Sometimes labels may be found hidden in the sleeve but on top of lining.

I look forward to what others think.

lkranieri likes this.
  7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The Weyburn Room appears to have been a select area of the Bullock's department store for upmarket brands and some custom made items. Seeing as this garment does not have a brand label I would hazard a guess that it was custom made for Emilienne? and was labelled with her name during manufacture for fittings etc. while changes may still be made, the lining to be added as the last element.
    The coat appears c.1950's. It would be interesting to try and work out the full name of the lady, just to check she wasn't someone of note in history :) You never know.

lkranieri and Nansk like this.
  8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The last name appears to be Wehrle.

arunava likes this.
  9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Emilienne was born in France and was married to Otto Wehrle, who was a civil engineer for the US War Department in 1940.

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

This is her signature from her 1937 naturalization papers -- and this obviously confirms the signature you found in the coat.

IMG_8244.jpg

13. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

Great detective work!

arunava likes this.
  14. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

15. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

16. Mad Catter

Mad Catter Registered Guest

Wow. What a result! Great sleuthing!

17. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you to everyone who added information that gave me a starting point, and for the kind words.

It looks like the woman seated at the table is Emilienne Wehrle:

IMG_8257.jpg

18. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I adore seeing her here!!

19. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Me, too. :USETHUMBUP: I just hope the OP comes back one day and sees everyone's answers.

20. Richard van Daalen

WOW!!! I’m so impressed! I never imagined that this would be solved so completely . I wish you all could have seen how excited and delighted my wife was when I showed her this thread! Thank you all for taking the time to help a complete stranger! I think a quote from Oprah will fit the bill here, “Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you”.