1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silk hose needle and hair pin dating help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nik-Nak, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Nik-Nak

Nik-Nak Registered Guest

C1C2EE36-D18D-413F-8E64-6283128D35D5.jpeg 2F483C44-F738-487D-8FD4-B269A4383582.jpeg 9EFBF403-7463-4FF2-B92D-544559F51EFB.jpeg Hi. Can anyone help me with trying to date some pieces? I have a hair pin that looks like a wide bobby pin and a silk hose mending needle. The accompanying paper with the needle says it was sold for $1.50

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Is there something on the first item that identifies it as a tool for repairing silk hose? If not, what led you to identify it as that? It may very well have been used for that, but the design leads me to suspect it was used for something less finely woven than silk hose. This snag repair tool is an example of what I envision...a woven item that wouldn't be damaged by pushing a hook through it...
    SnagRepairTool.jpg

3. Nik-Nak

Nik-Nak Registered Guest

Thank you for responding :) Everything I've tried finding out about it makes it seem odd as well (apparently this type of hook was commonly used for rug making?) but it came in a kit that specifically says "Silk Hose Mending Kit $1.50" with instructions and thread.

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Can you post a picture of whatever has "Silk Hose Mending Kit"? It might help identify the age and/or help with research.

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

OK, I think I see where my confusion lies. I found the 1932 ad you see here...
    SilkHoseMendingKit1932Ad.jpg

and I think what your kit -- and this one -- means is "Silk Hose-Mending Kit" rather than "Silk-Hose Mending Kit." In other words, the kit comes with darning silk that can be used to repair dad's socks/hose, rather than mom's silk stockings.

6. Nik-Nak

Nik-Nak Registered Guest

It has a company handwritten in pencil on itback I️ can’t seem to find any info about that either
    That's really interesting! The paper I have specifically addresses the needle and mentions the latch in the hook. It also has a company name written in pencil but I can't find anything about that either and looking up the address gives me a sale listing for the house on Zillow.
    [​IMG]

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Can you try again with the photo? It is not showing up. Thanks

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

If you can’t get the photo to appear, please post the company name and address and I will see what I can find.

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Much to my great surprise, it seems your tool was used on ladies' stockings. Here is a piece of a 1943 ad...
    SilkHoseMendingKitClip1943.jpg