1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silk velvet floor length coat--is it vintage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ellenm, Mar 24, 2004.

1. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I so rarely find anything vintage that I was excited when I found this yesterday. Now that I look more closely at it though, I see that although the fabric is great, the construction is quite ordinary--nothing to get excited about.

The fabric is silk velvet, very shimmery. The buttons are fabric, but are just for show. The coat closes with sewn on snaps under the buttons. The acetate lining is obviously handsewn in somewhat inexpertly. Either the lining was replaced or the whole coat is homemade. There are belt loops sewn into the sides, but no belt.

I do like the length and the fabric. Do you think it's old?

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Hmmmmm. Classic black velevt evening coats are not the easiest. Those buttons are still available, but not used that often. The straight line, jewel neckline and really simple line with the big effect buttons make me think 1960s. Are the shoulders natural and upadded? And are the sleeves raglan or set in?

Hollis

3. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

Thanks, Hollis. The shoulders are unpadded and the sleeves are not raglan, set-in, I guess.

4. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I was so fooled by a coat that purchased off of Ebay - it was listed as 40s, and I thought it was. Posted it here and no - it was 80s to look 40. Agree with Hollis on how these coats
    are so hard to date.

I'm thinking late 60s, especially as you mention there are
    belt loops to cinch in the waist.

Sue

5. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

So, the consensus is the 60s. Thanks very much. I'll be putting it away till next fall and holiday season.