1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeve Identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by SusieQsie, Jan 7, 2021.

  1. SusieQsie

    SusieQsie Registered Guest

    Hello all! I have this blouse that I believe is late 70s, most likely 80s, but I have no idea what this [edit] shoulder is called. It reminds me of a graduation cape shoulder. I think it used to have shoulder pads. I tried googling sleeve types and shoulder types, but nothing comes up!

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  2. Retro Ruth

    Retro Ruth Administrator Staff Member

    It's actually the shoulder treatment rather than the sleeve, that I think you mean? Though obviously they are connected!

    In knitting something similar is called a saddle shoulder, but I don't see that term used much in outside of knitting.
  3. Racked Vintage

    Racked Vintage Trade Member

    Some people.refer to this as Cuff Sleeve.
  4. mags_rags

    mags_rags Trade Member

    There is a saddle shoulder sleeve for cut & sewn clothing too - It's depicted in Mary Brooks Picken's "Dictionary of Costume and Fashion" in the sleeve treatment section, and described as "variation of the raglan sleeve with square-cut shoulder section extending into neck in saddle effect. Also called strap sleeve, epaulet sleeve."
    However, your blouse shows a separate piece of fabric making up the "saddle" section, with the top of the sleeve gathered and sewn into that piece. In this case, the alternative terms of "strap sleeve" or "epaulette sleeve" make more sense to me.
  5. SusieQsie

    SusieQsie Registered Guest

    Yes, I realized after posting that it is indeed the shoulder that gathered into the sleeve. I couldn't find anything for different types of shoulder either.
    I googled your suggestion and nothing similar came up, unfortunately!
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  6. SusieQsie

    SusieQsie Registered Guest

    Thank you! I am seeing pictures that look similar to mine described as a "gathered epaulet shoulder blouse"
    Do you have a picture of the saddle shoulder from Mary Brooks Picken's book? The blouse I have does have a set-in sleeve that you cannot really see from the pictures.
  7. GemGem

    GemGem Registered Guest

    While it may be a 70's blouse the style of that shoulder/sleeve detail is very late 30s-early 40s to me. I love that style of gathering, it is so flattering. Just found an image of a late 30s dress pattern, the furthest left seems most similar. Thinking about it, it's quite a military look, which would make sense for the era.
    late 30s gathered shoulder sleeve.jpg
    Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  8. SusieQsie

    SusieQsie Registered Guest

    oooo I love this! yes 70s does the 40s. thank you for sharing @GemGem
    GemGem likes this.

Share This Page