1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I bought a tie...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

My best friend loves to wear ties - not just around the neck, but also as belts. I like the idea, but have so far not found "the" tie. Well, now I have. I admit, I never look into the men's wear corner of the local Caritas shop, but today I did. And they had... Hermès and YSL. Beautiful ties, I shouldn't wonder if they all came out of the same closet, mostly they were dark and on the classic side, with just a hint of color. Still, I liked them. One could just see they were several notches above the others. If I were guy, I'd probably have snapped them all up :hysterical:. They were all extremely reasonably priced.
    However, one tie was different - this one definitely takes a little more courage to wear I guess. I couldn't resist, this is "me", and I know I will wear it one way or another:

krawatte.jpg

I think it's not very old either, but isn't this great? Beautiful heavy silk. The logo at the end is woven into the fabric. Wow! I checked what these retail for from Hermès here. I paid a tenth of that - about $25 :jawdrop:.

Karin

2. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

That's a very loude tie for some men to wear, trends do change for mens wear as much as womens so maybe to owner felt it was not him any more,
    I think ties can look good on ladies even worn in the traditional way as ties, i think this would look good on you also.

3. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

That was a real bargain! I love the colors.

4. joules

joules VFG Member

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I knew an elegantly dressed dealer who often wore "men's" ties, with the knot about mid chest on a plain long sleeved silk blouse with either a skirt or pants. I loved the look and would like to see this done more often now. It was a wonderful way to show off the colors and patterns in a tie. Please, someone, post an image of what I am talking about. Also, ties used as belts.
    Marian

6. Charity shops are great sources for quality ties at very reasonable prices - also, I suspect that ladies like to give them to men as presents and if they're not to his taste, he won't wear it. Many look brand new.

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Marian, I know what you mean - great look! I wore this tie last week to the office, just with a plain black long-sleeved tee and a black pencil skirt. Didn't get around to take a pic, but I think it looked great. And... today I managed to pick up the YSL tie I'd though I'd missed last week! It's more conservative, but I still really like it - probably because of the red :).
    krawatte.jpg

Karin

8. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I love mens ties and especially vintage but also collect sweater guards and mens cufflinks.
    I have nearly fainted several times when I see ties repurposed for lamp shades, skirts etc.
    One time I saw a lampshade and the "artist" proudly proclaimed they could sell it for $45.00 or something. I said well yes but that one tie could sell for $100.00 on a bad day. So please at least use cheap ties. Both of the ones shown are fabulous.

9. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

It's not in the same league as Karin here is my effort
    [​IMG]