1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some good articles about fake designer handbags...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Beehive Vintage Goods, Mar 23, 2004.

1. ...that brings up some interesting points. Have a peek, the links to the articles are from my local paper, The Calgary Herald.

<a href="http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=9581c2da-b82a-4bdc-81bc-a44f1d446e41">Fashion Crimes</a>

<a href="http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=0ca7f303-05ad-46c6-8f7b-522bcc7177d9">Faking It</a>

2. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Good articles thanks for posting them. You know how much I hate them. I wish every person who sells these could see that they are supporting terroism and drug trafficking.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Interesting that "purse parties" are taking over from the naughty lingerie parties of the late 1980s/early 1990s, and the tupperware parties of the 1950s/60s... speaks volumes about society and the role of women. DOne the housewife thing, the sexual equality thing is over... now its yuppie success!

However, it annoys me to no end to have authorities referred to without names 'FBI source says that buying a purse funds the Al-Queda..." uh huh... well, could we get a name and quote from the athority please? I don't accept non-traceable statements and I don't believe that anyone is funding terrorism by buying purses of mass-deception. Either its sloppy journalism, or it smacks of an article paid for by Louis Vuitton, to have it placed as 'news' in papers around the world.

4. LOL at "purses of mass deception"!

You have made a really good point Jonathan!! I always thought journalists had to have some pretty concrete fact finding to make statements such as those backed up by real live people.

5. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I saw a similar article in the Toronto paper last week, and since this did make the 'news' you really have to wonder
    like Jonathan said, how much is accurate.

I definitely do not agree with the selling of these fake bags, and would be more apt to think that drug business may be
    behind it...or LV....who knows. I do know that I distrust
    a lot of media on both sides of the border.

LOL at POMD Jonathan!

Sue

6. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Well color me gulible in the terrorism theory. But I do think some people some where of unsavory character (?) are profiting from this illegal activity. If its illegal to sell them then they aren't just your ordinary citizen out to make some bucks having them mass manufactured ( that takes some big bucks in itself) and convincing these gals thats its okay to sell them at their little parties and the backs of thier salons.

there is a guy here in the mall that has a room in the back of his store selling them and he used to be a drug dealer. So makes you wonder how did he go from drug dealer to purse seller.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It could be argued however, that faux fendi handbags are saving our youth from drugs...

8. b*a*vintagequeen

b*a*vintagequeen Registered Guest

Well you all know how I feel about this matter after this weekend and my fake LV!!

9. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

Well heck.. I think any number of things we buy COULD be contributing to terrorists, etc.
    Gas, for instance.

And although I'm not particularly FOR fake bags (I think we've had this convo...) I'm sure there's some worker at the bottom who thanks his lucky stars that he has a job making them.

Again.. not saying I <i>agree</i> with fake bags (don't flame me!)-- but I think it's important to look at all sides of an arguement, instead of taking the word of a journalist or someone at the top. Even they've copied <i>someone</i>.

That said-- I do avoid buying high-end designer for the very reason that I don't know how to tell a real from a fake and I'd hate to unknowingly pass one on.

kristine